Don't mess with authorities

Prambanan Travel Blog

Candi Rara Jonggrang

Prambanan is the largest Hindu temple complex in Indonesia. I personally like this complex more than the Borobudur. I think the structures are much finer and the carvings are also more detailed.

After visiting Solo we went straight to Prambanan. This complex has several entrances, we parked on the north side.

The entrance was US$ 10,- for foreigners. I didn't have to pay anything (I think they thought I just came here to show Prambanan to these 5 tourists).

Candi Sewu

Prambanan was rediscovered in 1893. The renovation began in 1918 and still going on. There are still many little temples not renovated. I can imagine how stunning this complex once was  in the ancient world as it’s still stunning right now with just a few temples standing.

We walked to the other side of the complex to see the Buddhist temple, Candi Sewu. Prambanan is a very large complex. Then we walked back to the start to make the last photos and go home. While we were taking pictures the guards called us and said they’re closing. I thought they were joking cause I know the complex closes in 2 hours.

So when we finished taking photo’s the guards locked the gate and left. I asked them how we are supposed to get out. They said we had to exit from the south entrance. They weren’t going to open the gate again for us cause they’ve warned us already. So there we stood. We weren’t planning to do that cause that means half an hour walk. We discovered a ditch in a gate where we can easily get under it and get out. So we did it. A guard came back, angry. I was the only one still standing inside the gate. He said that I, as an Indonesian, should know better and should give good example (to obey authority). I said sorry and he permitted me to go out through the ditch. Don’t mess with authorities in Indonesia!

bernard69 says:
I'm glad that Prambanan is reopened after the 2006 earthquake.
Posted on: Oct 31, 2008
Beatiful detail
Its a puzzle which stone goes on …
It's a puzzle which stone goes on…
Inside the largest temple
Inside the largest temple
Candi Sewu (means 1000 temples)
Candi Sewu (means 1000 temples)
The last photo