AsiaChinaBeijing

...a day in transition...

Beijing Travel Blog

798 Art District

I woke up early in the morning (7:00 AM-ish) to see Geli and Simone off on their homeward bound journey.  Then it was back to sleep for another hour or two before getting up to face the day.  First order of business was to pack up the bags, check out of the hotel, and move over to the Compass Guest House.  Got this done with a minimum of fuss and met with Paul and Katie to decide what to do with our day.

We were looking for something low key to do and Paul had found mention of the 798 Art District in his guide book so we decided that we would see what that was like.  It was the subway out for a way and then a taxi cab the rest of the way to the entrance to the Art District.  It was a happening scene with many locals and tourists mingling through the galleries.

798 Art District
  It was an incredibly hip and artsy location with many small cafes and shops interspersed among the galleries.  All the art on display is from contemporary Chinese artists and their is a variety of styles represented here.

Paul, Katie, and I browsed through several galleries, stopped at a cafe for mid-afternoon meal, and browsed some more.  Some galleries were all paintings and some included more unique artistic creations and expressions.  All in all it felt like some small, trendy art district back home (say the Short North in Columbus or for a more well-known locale, Soho in New York City).  It was a unique and different side of China that we got to see and explore here and I for one was glad to have made the trip here.

798 Art District
  As the afternoon turned towards evening we headed back out from the 798 Arts District and found a cab to take us back to the Metro line.  Then it was back in to the city.  As we headed back towards Compass Guest House, I offered my best wishes to Paul and Katie as we passed their lodging and we headed off separately towards our new adventures.

Later in the evening I wandered out to Wangfujing for a small sampling of some food for a late dinner.  It was a bit weird but also comforting being on my own for an evening.  The crowds on the streets were all bustling in every direction.  It struck me as amazing how much life and activity there is in all the Asian cities I have visited thus far.  And while I had been an active part of that life the last few days, tonight I was content to just take it all in from an observers perspective.  I sat and watched - read a bit of the book I had just purchased from the bookstore across the street, and realized that while I had a long distance to go, this journey was fast approaching its end.

Beijing Hostels review
Compass Guest House - close, affordable, and comfortable
I spent 1 night here between segments of my trip in Beijing. It was conveniently located just down the hutong from my previous lodging location and i… read entire review
Beijing Sights & Attractions review
Contemporary Art in China
The old grounds of Factory 798 (named for one of the buildings in the cluster of a Chinese - East German manufacturing project) is now a lively, thriv… read entire review
Beijing