AsiaNepalPokhara

Relaxing in Pokhara

Pokhara Travel Blog

Machhapuchare - 6997m (22956 ft)

So, I've finished the Annapurna Circuit today and am relazing in Pokhara.  It was an amazing experience and there are loads of stories and photos to share in due time.  But for now I've survived and am still mostly in one piece health-wise.  Back to Kathmandu tomorrow (its a 200 km journey that is estimated to take about 7.5 hrs) for a few days and then off to Everest Base Camp.  Am I a glutton for punishment or what?

--------------------------------------------------

Got to sleep in a bit today as we left for Naya Pul after an 8:30 AM breakfast.

Phewa Tal (Lake) in Pokhara
  A short 45 minute walk to Naya Pul and then a bus ride back to Pokhara finished the Annapurna Circuit.  On the short walk out of Birethanti caught some amazing views of Machhapuchare (Fish Tail Mountain) that we missed up on Poon Hill yesterday.  The bus ride was uneventful.  Heading into Pokhara did have some decent views of the Massif although late morning clouds were again rolling in.  And when we did stop to take some photos the excitement finally happened.  A motorbike came driving down the road and hit our bus that was stopped on the side of the road with a sickening thud.  Wish I knew how he managed to run into a stopped vehicle.  Thankfully not too much damage to either vehicle or to the riders on the motorbike.

In Pokhara we had the afternoon to ourselves to enjoy town.

Dinner with the gang
  Ate lunch with Patrick and Roman and then went into town for some souvenir shopping.  Got some money at an ATM (ahh the luxuries of civilization), shopped, hit the Internet Cafe (where I posted the initial paragraph of this entry above), and went down to Phewa Tal (lake) to chill and relax for a while.  Afternoon passed much too quickly and I soon headed back to the hotel/lodge to clean up with my first shower in a few days.

We had a grand final dinner (Dal Baat, what else) with everyone including our guides and porters, and after dinner proceeded back into town to hit the lakeside bars for post trip celebrations.  It was mainly a good time first at Club Amsterdam and then at BusyBee.  But there was some craziness - a fight at Club Amsterdam and a drunken kiss at Busy Bee.

At Club Amsterdam a fight broke out and I watched a Nepali get bashed with a glass beer bottle across the head no more than 2 meters from where I sat.

Machhapuchare - 6997m (22956 ft)
  After that we moved to BusyBee where one of the porters who had imbibed a bit too much alcohol tried to plant a kiss on one of the ladies in our group.  He was quickly taken home after that and our trekking member shrugged off the incident.  All in all it was a good time and a welcome celebration after nearly 3 weeks on the trail.

Things quiet down fairly early in Nepal in general and Pokhara was no exception.  Around 11:30 PM we were heading back to our lodge as things were shutting down for the night.  We had a 7:00 AM bus in the morning for our 7 hour journey back to Kathmandu (only 200km, so you can do the math for the average speed, not very fast).  If only that was all the longer it would take but that is a tale for tomorrow's entry.

Some stats from the trail

• Distance Traveled - Approx.
    210 km (130 miles)
  • Days Walking in Rain - 3 (To Chamje, Kalopani, Birethanti) - rained other times as well but not while we were walking
  • Days Walking in Hail - 3 (Every time it rained there was hail as well)
  • Days Walking in Snow - 0 (walking while it was snowing, we definitely walked in snow that had already fallen)
  • Longest consecutive number of days in a single T-Shirt - 4 (it was cold and I wasn't sweating much)
  • Longest consecutive number of days in a single pair of undershorts - 3
  • Laundry - 1 (In Manang had laundry done - did rinse/wash the occasional pair of socks, undershorts and dry as necessary)
  • Shave - 3 (Manang, Kalopani, Pokhara)
  • Showers - 5 (Bagarchap - 3/27, Manang - 3/31, Kagbeni - 4/4, Kalopani - 4/6, Pokhara - 4/10)

Machhapuchare - 6997m (22956 ft)
Leaving the Annapurna Circuit in N…
Leaving the Annapurna Circuit in …
A carnival in Pokhara
Enjoying a Dal Baat dinner
Enjoying a Dal Baat dinner
Happy Nice Trek
"Happy Nice Trek"
Hitting the bars in Pokhara (Club …
Hitting the bars in Pokhara (Club…
Bar #2 (Busy Bee)