Pre-Departure Day

Dayton Travel Blog

Well this is it.  Last minute preparations are ongoing and tomorrow morning I will be getting on a plane to leave the US for 5 months.  How does one figure out what to take for a five month journey.  Let's hope I've got it figured out, although I know full well that I should be able to get most anything I need in some form or another on the road.

The first stop on my journey is Thailand.  I will be leaving from Dayton, flying to Chicago, then to Tokyo, on to Bangkok, and finally to Krabi.  Talk about a long couple of days.  And it will amount to almost two days.  I leave on the morning of Jan 12 and arrive in Krabi on the morning of Jan 14, although Thailand is 12 hours ahead of the eastern US. Here's the schedule:

DAY-ORD - Depart 8:05, Arrive 8:34 (1 Hour, 19 Minute Flight)

ORD-NRT - Depart 12:00, Arrive 16:05 (next day-Jan 13) (13 Hour, 5 Minute Flight)

NRT-BKK - Depart 18:35, Arrive 23:45 (7 Hour, 10 Minute Flight)

BKK-NRT - Depart 8:00 (on Jan 14), Arrive 9:20 (1 Hour, 20 Minute Flight)

So its about 23 hours of scheduled flight time, 14 hours of layovers, and 1.5-2 hours at the Dayton airport prior to first flight departure.  Wow, what a way to start the trip!

Kramerdude says:
Yeah, there was a lot I didn't take with me like toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc. figuring I could pick it up in Thailand and it hasn't been a problem at all. Ao Nang is actually kind of expensive generally (mostly tourists), but Krabi, which is more locals is pretty cheap if you know where to look.
Posted on: Feb 03, 2009
mfmcp1982 says:
I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but at least in somewhere like Thailand it's easy enough to pick up anything you forgot or need, like clothes, etc, for next to nothing. But I know what you mean about packing your bag and setting off - an odd feeling, but a good one too!
Posted on: Feb 01, 2009
fugumenow says:
dude your so lucky,i just came back from thailand and cambodia on 12/03/08 you must visit siem reap ie angkor wat,be carefull there are a couple of scams,like buses stopping in the middle of nowere and asking for more money from everybody that they think will pay, some taxi
's do the same.ps be wary of people in thailand trying to befriend you,they mat just want your money
Posted on: Jan 11, 2009