Making our way to Moscow

Moscow Travel Blog

Tverskaya Street

In the morning hit up the free breakfast at the Sokol Hotel and packed up. I'm quickly realizing that I don't have too many more opportunities where I will need to pack the duffel to head off to a new destination any more. At this time next week I will be arriving back home. After eating I made a quick run to the grocery down the street to pick up a few assorted items for lunch and snacks for the next few days. Lunch today was going to be on the bus heading into Moscow.

Met up with the gang shortly after and we transferred back down to Vladimir, purchased our tickets and waited for the bus to take us into Moscow.

State History Museum on Red Square
The M7 took us into Moscow in about 4 hours and then it was time to brave the Moscow Metro for the first time. With all of our gear it was a challenge as we made our way from Krasnosyelskaya-Komsomolskaya-Belorusskaya-Mayakovskaya stations (changing lines at the intermediate stops). Later on I spent some more time on the Metro so will cover it in more details then.

Exiting the Metro we were in the heart of Moscow on Ulitsa Tverskaya. It was a short walk to the flat where we were staying with a women who rented out a few rooms to guests. It was a tight squeeze but satisfactory for Moscow. After dropping off our gear (thank goodness to be rid of that after lugging it through the Metro and the streets) we went out in the afternoon onto the streets of Moscow.

A short walk down Tverskaya leads down directly to Red Square.
Lenin's Mausoleum
There were throngs of people making their way through the city on this mid-to-late Monday afternoon. One interesting stereotype was quickly noted as we saw many incredibly attractive young Russian women on the arms of older men (the ones where you can tell that money is likely involved). And speaking of money, they do not lie when they say that Moscow is "EXPENSIVE". Food, drink, clothes, and all the like proved to be a costly endeavour in this city. On Red Square we saw the customary sites. St. Basil's Cathedral (or the Church of the Saviour), the Kremlin, the State History Museum, and the GUM Department Store. For me this was probably the oddest place to walk around on the trip from the perspective of the Cold War history between Russia and the US. One hears so many stories over the years, but the reality couldn't be further from the truth.
St. Basil's Cathedral

They were also setting up a stage on the Square as Russia Day celebrations were set to take place on June 12. This is the equivalent of a 4th of July holiday although its only been celebrated since 1992 when Russia essentially dissolved the Soviet Union. We didn't spend a great deal of time here today as we planned to come back in the morning to tour the Kremlin, so we headed on over to Arbat Street. Arbat Street is a pedestrianized thoroughfare full of restaurants and bars and shops. Grabbed an expensive dinner and drinks at one of the restaurants and quickly realized that I would need some more cash to survive these few days in Moscow. Money changers were prevalent so changed some of my remaining dollars knowing that I wouldn't have much need to hold onto them longer.

We spent the rest of the evening in the area before walking back around Tverskoy to Tverskaya to our flat. Even into the evening hours Moscow hummed with energy. Nearing the summer solstice the days were long and Muscovites were likely enjoying the gorgeous and pleasant early summer weather that was being experienced. I know I was.

Lenins Mausoleum
St. Basils Cathedral
Lenins Mausoleum
GUM Department Store
GUM Department Store
St. Basils Cathedral
St. Basil's Cathedral
Looking back at St Basils Cathedr…
Looking back at St Basil's Cathed…
Ulitsa Arbat (Arbat Street)
Ulitsa Arbat (Arbat Street)
Hard Rock Cafe - Moscow