First Day in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

Downtown Bangkok Traffic

Today I spent my day wandering around Bangkok for a bit after recovering from my overnight bus ride. What an interesting city. It was amusing to tell all the taxi-drivers, touts, and other random Bangkokians that I had no particular destination, rather I just wanted to wander the streets for a while to get a flavour of Bangkok.

I made a stop at the MBK Shopping Plaza a 7 story shopping mall with more stuff than one can possibly imagine.  Didn't spend long and didn't buy anything (other than lunch at the food stalls on the 6th floor).  From there I wandered down towards Silom and Patpong (still a crazy area, but apparently less crazy than it was years ago) and then circled back up to my lodgings.

While heading home I had an amazing experience. I came across a group of Thais playing takraw (the Thai-style volleyball played with the feet and heads that we saw occassionally played in Ao Nang). I sat down to watch for a bit and after a few games were played someone gestured for me to come out on the court. We didn't really play a game but we did knock the ball across the net a few times. Needless to say my skills were sorely lacking and I was the cause of many large bouts of laughter at my many stumbles and flailing kicks. I soon let the pros get back to their games, but it was definitely the highlight of my first day in Bangkok.

Billboards and Traffic in Bangkok