Crossing into China

Shenzhen Travel Blog

Waiting for the MTR Train (East Rail Line) to Shenzhen

At about 2:30 PM it was time to head for China.  Grabbed my gear from the left luggage check at the West Hotel and walked with a group towards the MTR station.  We went via the Tsuen Wan Line (Cheung Sha Wan Station) to the Kwun Tong line (Prince Edward Station) to the East Rail Line (Kowloon Tong Station) with about a 30 minute train ride from Kowloon Tong to the last stop at the border.

The border crossing was packed, chaotic, and crazy.  Had to fill out another health declaration form to enter China and after the first swine flu case in Hong Kong they were checking these forms pretty closely.  After filling out these forms you walked through a line where officials were checking the forms.  I was singled out when they looked and saw that my nationality was from the USA.

MTR Station (Kowloon Tong)
  I was shuttled off to some special lines for additional questioning (and testing?) while everyone else I was traveling with was able to go directly to immigration.  I was curious as to just what they were checking for, but found that my best way of handling the situation was to show my passports and demonstrate that I had not been in the US since early January.  Once I was able to show the health officials this to their satisfaction they gave me a small slip of paper to take to the immigration officer who proceeded to check through everything in my passports.  After clearing these three layers of officialdom my passport was stamped and I finally made my way into China proper and was on my way again.

The train station in Shenzhen was directly connected to the border crossing facilities on the Chinese side.  A short walk brought us to the waiting area for our train where we waited for about 45 minutes before being allowed to board.  And then we were off.  My China adventure had officially begun.

vances says:
Glad all the hassles around swine flu didn't dis-orient you!
Posted on: Jul 31, 2009
Waiting for the MTR Train (East Ra…
Waiting for the MTR Train (East R…
Shenzhen