Annapurna Circuit - Day 9 (Manang - Yak Kharka)

Yak Kharka Travel Blog

Annapurna Himal from near Yak Kharka

WARNING - GRAPHIC CONTENT AHEAD

Woke up early this morning to a case of severe diarrhea.  Knew things weren't going to be great when I was feeling a bit nauseous and had little appetite the night before.  But at 5 AM when I woke up the first until we departed at 9 AM I made five trips to the squatter and one trip to the store to buy some additional toilet paper.

This was not what I needed on the way up to 5416m (17769 ft).  Of course now dehydration was going to be a serious problem as well.  Thankfully the day was going to be short as we began the final ascent towards Thorung La.  Today we had to ascend approximately 500m (1640 ft) to Yak Kharka at an elevation of 4010m (13156 ft).   We were approaching altitudes I had never been to before and definitely altitudes that I had never slept at before.

Teahouse/lodge in Yak Kharka

The walk was as much about getting it done as anything else for me today.  I didn't eat any of my breakfast today so was running on precious little fuel.  Thankfully it was only a 4-hour day to get to Yak Kharka.  One good thing for me was that I had brought some Gatorade Powder with me so was able to mix that with water to provide some calories and rehydrate to an extent (man, I sound like a walking  advertisement).  But it was about all I could manage to keep down.  Had a small bowl of soup for lunch, which went right through me.  Napped throughout the rest of the afternoon, waking up only to order some more soup and tea for dinner.  But dinner did not go well at all.

Tried to eat and drink at dinner and all of a sudden felt the stomach heave.  Tried to get outside but didn't quite make it in time before the rest of what remained in my stomach came spewing out.  But I actually felt a bit better after vomitting.  I had taken a dose of cipro in the morning when my symptoms first started.  Chitra came out and I took another pill from my pocket and then after a brief discussion I went to bed hoping against hope that I would feel better in the morning.

Annapurna Himal from near Yak Khar…
Annapurna Himal from near Yak Kha…
Yak near Yak Kharka