Around Nashville

Nashville Travel Blog

fire

After an extended stay at my friends, I am will be leaving Nashville first thing in the morning and heading for Columbia, Mo. with a stop in St. Louis in the afternoon.

Today I decided to get out and see the sites.  Nashville is probably best known for its country music, but I found a couple of other interesting things too.

One of things that I want to do that I haven't talked about is see every NFL stadium.  I'm not sure why, but I have always found them fascinating; the architecture and size is an amazing feat.   After checking out the stadium where the Titans play, I decided to head downtown to check out the Country Music Hall of Fame.

state flag
  I'm not a big fan of country music, but I can really appreciate the history of it and walking around downtown Nashville gave me an even greater sense of how much the music is part of Americana.

I spent a good couple of hours walking around the strip that host people from all over the world trying to make it big in the music business. If you want to listen to live music, you can a start as early as 11:00am here.  Musicians trying to become the next big thing start early here and try to work their way up the ladder to a better time slot.

Second to the music scene in Nashville is probably the Civil War history.  Around every corner lies the site of a past battle, fortification, or cemetery.

Helloooo buddy
  I saw one of these key fortifications along the river downtown.  Fort Nashborough.  It was small, but it gave me a feel for what it must have been like 200 years ago along the river.

On the way to my last point of interest, The Parthenon, I saw some billowing smoke and heard screaming sirens coming from every direction.  I had to check things out.  I weaved my way around areas of town that were completely unfamiliar and I'll probably never see again, but I was too curious to let it slip by without further investigation.  I came upon a blocked off street with emergency lights lined up for a quarter mile. The police diverted me off into another direction, but I was ok with that since I need more exercise if I am ever going to lose this weight.

I parked about a 1/2 mile away and loaded up my camera and camcorder, and proceed to hike up the street.

guitar for big people
  I didn't feel so determined or special once I arrived at the site and realized how many others had done the same thing as me.  Either way, it was interesting to see the news cameras, fire fighters, and police all work together with such a good size audience.  The story's ending isn't too tragic, which is good. The fire may have destroyed the building, but the building was empty of people and/or business.

My final stop was the Parthenon, a museum that is an exact replica of the original Parthenon in Greece.  I haven't been able to go inside of the museums and this was no different.  I am on a strict budget and there will be a lot of things that are cheap by themselves, but collectively would add up to be quite a cost.  So, I didn't go inside.

The museum from the outside was impressive and it left me thinking about future travels to Europe.

LP Field.
  Outside the museum was a large park filled with geese, joggers, and picnickers from neighboring Vanderbilt.  The weather here is 70 degrees with a perfectly slight breeze.  The weather couldn't have been any better than it has been here in Nashville the last couple of days. It reminds me of December and January in Tampa. This is the kind of weather that got me to move to Florida in the first place.  Right now in Tampa, the weather is surely miserably hot, sticky, and unbearable, but as all Floridians know....it'll be nice soon.  For now...for me... this weather is great and the geese and I were enjoying the breeze together while a fountain sprayed water 30 feet into the air from a nearby pond as the joggers trotted through the trees that decorate the trail throughout the park. I could envision myself taking a nap in this park

Now it's off to the plan as it was in the beginning: Move swiftly as possilbe.  I only have so many days to get through all the states.  Next stop Columbia, MO. via St. Louis