Seeing the island !

Langkawi Travel Blog

Mr. designated driver

So on my second day on the island the 3 girls had decided that we should rent a car. As the only man i was the dedicated driver of the day..hooray.. I never would have imagined that my first time driving outside of Bergen, Norway would be on an island ouside of Malaysia. Worse yet was the fact that they are driving on the left side there, and the gearstick is on the left side. It did'nt help that the car we rented was a matchstick box packing the power of an average lawnmover under the hood. Pressing the pedal to the floor would just about make this thing go forward. The girls were screaming most of the time in the beginning...I soon learned to ignore it.
The worst was these small humps that just suddenly appear on straight roads, with only a little inconspicious sign some meters in advance.

Drinking beer at the beach..good stuff..
.. there was some hefty braking at some points....

We went straight across the island to our first destination: Tanjung Rhu beach. This was a really gorgeous beach where some high class resorts where connected. There is also some cool mangrove forrests in the lake area in the surrounding.
We stayed some hours getting our tan done, then went for the black sand beach.
The day was getting late so i raced off to the limestone beach at the other side of the island. It was like a 40 minute drive. It was'nt very impressive though, so we went to the nearby cable car attraction which took us far up into the mountains for some good pictures.
The cable car I would say is a must for anyone going to this island. It is amazing to float in the air at 700 meters with the towering rainforest underneath.

going in the cable car

When we got back down there was just one more sight to be seen, and that was the nearby watewalls that we had seen from the cable car. The waterfall was really nice and refreshing. It is a pretty hefty massage you get while standing under the dropping streams.
A pack of monkeys where roaming the area, and some of them came straight for me. I did'nt know quite how to react, as the monkeys usually just mind their own matters. I just stood my ground, and the monkey started tugging at my nice pink candy floss...I should have known...
I was tugging with him for some time, but eventually had to give the little shithead my candy. Good luck with the caries I say.

The next day would be just pure beach time, of course supplemented with lots of beers every evening. After 1,5 days with the girls i reeeeaaally felt like finding some boy gang to hang with, as I have problems relating to half their conversation topics. I then met some canadian guys, a newzealender and a swedish guy that were fun to be with. We will make efforts on drinking tonight, and make our own party I suppose.
Next stop will be Kuala Lumpur. There should be some chances for more drinking....travelling is fun!

kathski says:
Oh sounds like langkawi has cast its spell on you too!! Im so jealous, i cant wait to go back!!! Enjoy it while you can :)
Posted on: Nov 17, 2008
Mr. designated driver
Drinking beer at the beach..good s…
Drinking beer at the beach..good …
cable rail