First day in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

The national museum

My first meeting with the thai people was at the flight from Istanbul. All the thai's were smiling constantly and lauging, in contrast to the locals in the European capital where i've been living for the last 5 years, where smiling is the exception rather then the rule....

After arriving to Bangkok i did the only sensible thing from a backpackers point of view; headed straight for Khao San road hoping to find a place to stay. It felt great travelling with a small 4 kg backpack ! i have learned since my last journey. It took me many hours to find somewhere to stay as i was looking for a place with a dormitory. In my previous travels i have always found that to be a great way to meet other travellers, and to get some input about other places.

some hefty elephant fights
I am currently a man without a plan..... so having no idea of where to go to next and 6 weeks to do it, i will need some advice....Finally after looking around I realised that Dorms are'nt a big thing in Thailand, and had to settle for a single room. This makes meeting other travellers more of an effort, so i may want to look more for a dorm place. My room was a 4 sqm one with no window or bath. After having looked at a few rooms i found this to be the general accepted standard,so i had to settle with it. The price was pretty nice though at 180 Baht, about 5$.

I have'nt really figured out what I should see in Bangkok either, so today I just picked a direction and started walking hoping to find something nice. This is my usual strategy in a new town, and usually works out pretty well.

Panthip mall
Bangkok is however a too chaotic town for this to work perfectly, so after finding some temples and visiting the National museum I took a Tuk-Tuk to the Panthip electronics shopping mall with my mind set on buying a little laptop/netbook for my travels. The Tuk-Tuk was fun, and in the short time it took the driver managed to offer me 10 different women,a massage and a tailor....i respectfully had to turn them all down.

As a certified electronics geek this place was a candy shop for me. There was a great risk of wasting a lot of money there. Every time i walked past the DVD sellers they were running after me with the covers for some "sexy" DVD's. Not too sexy,just nasty! After 6 hours or so...(I know:tragic) i decided to buy a laptop. As I was counting money I just realised i had miscalculated the currency, and that all the machines at this place was actually not cheap at all.

View from Panthip
....it ended in not buying it.  ADVICE:  buy the laptop before you go to Thailand..

The food here is interesting...to say it the least... As a veterinary doctor I know my food hygiene quite well. This again has made me quite careful about what to eat here, first day i hardly ate anything. But now i'm letting down my guard and trying out a lot of the local food. I do however realise that i most likely will be sick at some point in this trip...

Eating vegetables or sushi(!) from a street vendor is where i draw the limit. Also any kind of meat/chicken that is left out of the heat for longer time. Anything which is in boiling water or is on the grill I think would be quite safe to eat. The first days I won't be eating very large meals, the larger the meal -the more likely to get sick, as it passes faster to the important defense from the stomach acids then. I also don' t drink to much while eating, as water passes the stomach quickly and will often bring the bacteria with it. Same is the case with fat dirnks/food - passes quicker, and brings the germs.  These are at least the basic rules for not getting sick the first time in a new country....

local market