you know it's fancy when you get a fork with your muffin

Sydney Travel Blog

Being my last day in Sydney I get to endulge in food! And boy have I. Had a fantastic(ly expensive) fruit salad with yoghurt at The Rocks Market, where I also found a beautiful photo album from Australia (again, expensive...but made with all recycled products and the front has the outline of Australia cut out of it...it looks classy, I promise. He also had one that had Australia and New Zealand but only in the small size and well, there's no way I could fit both countries into 50 photos...so I'm still on the hunt for a New Zealand photo album). This morning started out with rain which you could hear on the roof of the traincar dorm. The Railway Square YHA literally is at the rail station, practically an extention of the platform, the rooms are old traincars.

It's really cute.

Apart from the occaisional downpour it's quite a lovely day. Starting up a Circular Quay, by the Opera House and ferry terminal, I headed off to the market at The Rocks, the are at the base of the Harbour Bridge and home to the old Overseas Passenger Terminal. Souvenirs, clothes, food, and accessories lined the canopied streets and the tents provided cover from the freak downpours. Also where I got the fantastic (organic) fruit salad for lunch.

Heading down Elizabeth St., I go off at Hyde Park fro a quick touist photo-op. There's a huge fountain in the middle of the part and some nice old buildings on the blocks surrounding the park. And weird birds...there was a white duck/bird and that a black face and LONG thin beak. It was bigger than a seagul (which I'm starting to hate), but smaller than a peacock.

some church off of hyde park

Walking around Chinatown I stopped at a shopping centre to pee (it's hard to pee here... public "toilets" are hard to find...Starbucks is no longer my tried and true bathroom stop. Some of the public toilet stands play music for you when you lock the door). While trying to get back out of the mall I spotted a coffee stand and the wildberry white chocolate muffin. So I stopped. And I ate a muffin with a fork. They know how to do muffins down here (NZ as well). Muffins, gellato, and now fish and chips: my food weaknesses.

My 13 hour bus ride from Sydney to Byron Bay leaves in 3 hours. I opted for the overnight trip, thus not losing a day of potential relaxing on the beach AND not having to pay for a hostel tonight. I left my bags in storage at the hostel and spent the day walking around and waiting out the rain at Starbucks, sealing free internet from someone's wireless signal. Next: the quest for dinner!

the fountain at hyde park