streets beaching it

Brisbane Travel Blog

Byron Bay was a washout...the sun finally come out the morning I got on the bus up to Brisbane. Driving along the coast, passing Coollongatta and famed Surfer's Paradise, you are reminded very much of Miami Beach mixed with the highrise Palm-named hotels. The stretch of beach is commercialized to the brink.

Brisbane is Queensland's biggest city, Australia's third biggest. There's not much said of Brisbane, and there's not much left to be said. I only spent about half a day here, leaving the next morning to head north to Noosa for a few. One of the girls in my room (from England, of course) and I decided to head down to the man-made beach in town. Now, hearing man-made beach, my hopes were not high and I was just expecting out-of-place sand along the river. Well...it's like a little tropical paradise in the middle of the city. There's two separate swimming lagoons, one with concrete at the bottom, the other with sand. The water is a pretty blue, the sand clean and white, and the palm trees blocking the view of the brown Brisbane river and tall buildings of the city. It really does feel like being on a small beach in the middle of the city. We spent the remaining sunlight on the sand. She's got a visa for NZ as well, so we exchanged contact info as we'll both be in the south island.

Brisbane