hazy shade of winter

Auckland Travel Blog

I suppose it was bound to happen...it's wasn't spectacularly sunny today. Still not cold, but cloudy. I went out to lunch for my last day in Auckland at the Mexican place I've passed quite a few times down on the wharf. It boasts the "best mexican in auckland." It was horrible. Worst chicken quesadilla I've ever had. No wonder you don't see much mexican down here...they suck at it. At least there's plentiful pickin's for all other ethnic foods. LOTS of indian and sushi....so I guess I'll be okay giving up mexican for a bit.

Everything's in order for Australia...just finished booking all my bus tickets on greyhound (their buses are red though, unlike our boring ones). I opted for public transport this time around. It's cheaper... The backpacker bus was nice, but I feel like I met more people at the hostels and in town, not so much on the bus....so I'll save a few hundred and travel the local way.

I'll be landing in Melbourne 8 April. I'll be staying in the city for a few days, checking out the apparantly awesome markets and browsing all the shops I can't buy things in. Heading off to Canberra on 12 April to visit the capital briefly, leaving on 15 April up to Sydney! Chilling in Sydney until 19 April, when I take a LONG (12 hour) bus ride up to Byron Bay...a little beach haven of a town. I'm taking the overnight bus though, so I can sleep while in motion. After enjoying a little slow down from Australia's more bustling cities, I'll be leaving Byron for the holy land of Brisbane on 22 April, where I'll stay in their LA weather-of-a-town until 28 April. I'm excited for Brisbane and Melbourne the most. I hear Melbourne is amazingly cool...and well Brisbane has the warm weather so it'll be a nice little beach vacation. Also Queensland University is in Brisbane, and that's the cheap(er) graduate school I'm interested in. The other one is in Melbourne. But I'm not going to lie...the weather of Brisbane does excite me. Two years of perfection while studying and working hard in grad school before the rainy weather of England for work...hahaha. I wish! I would love to move to London after school...and make Pounds to pay of loans in US dollars. Now that's smart thinkin'!

Been job searching online lately. Got a few responses from Wellington for things similar to what I was doing in Albany. Also been looking at working in exchange for accomodation. Someone got back to me from down in Christchurch. You work for 2.5 days/week in exchange for board...and I think it's your own place. That'd be sweet because then I'd only need part time work after that if I don't have to pay living expenses. There's a few options similar to that. Haven't come across too many in Wellington though. But I'd do either Christchurch or Wellington happily.

Talk to you from Australia next!!

photo by: Fulla