Polish Day of National Independence

Krakow Travel Blog

Polish day of independence -11/11/1918
Whilst the 11th of November means keeping shtum for a couple of minutes, remembrance parades, and poppys for us English, this year the Poles were celebrating 90 years of independence. That's right, 90 years. I thought this bizarre seeing as Poland was taken by Germany in WWII less than 90 years ago, but decided to go with it seeing as Krakow was heaving with Partying Poles.

Krakow was a good shout, a very beautiful city with a relaxing feel to it. We were certainly wooed by it's charm as we strolled around the centre before heading out towards the castle at dusk, and finally eating a lovely meal in front of the Old Town square (So romantic I know - I nearly fell in love with the Gerbil) as proud Poles conjugated for a service/concert. Our timing was pure luck as we whitnessed something quite unique in catching Krakow on such a poignent day in its history.
A view from the Castle grounds

Unfortunately, rather unlike the city itself, the meal we had appeared to disagree with me. Back to the hostel, which was a little further out of the action than we would have liked - still cheap as chips - and the meal reappeared. a coulpe of hours later i was fine but it meant an early night which was probably well overdue anyway.

The next day we went to Auschwitz. We had met two posh ozzy burds (who didn't like being called 'posh ozzy burds' one bit) on the bus to Auschwitz which stopped after an hour's journey at Auschwitz I. Here we took a guided tour of Auschwitz I before heading to the much much larger Auschwitz II (Berkenau). It's well worth getting a tour guide, ours was particularly impassioned. I was never looking forward to coming here, though wanted to very much. I'm glad I went and would say it's an experience evryone should do. I can't put into words the feelings you will get because language will not allow me to justify them. The most difficult part was standing in the gas chamber where hundreds of thousands of Jews, POWs and Gypsy's were processed. An emotional day.

It was straight down to Zakopane once we got back to the coach station. We had left our luggage in a locker there, picked it up, and contemplated what we'd just seen as we were driven southbound along the bumpy raods towards the Slovakian boarder.
JeAr says:
i like those type of experiences too, like what u had in Auschwitz. u gotta know the history of those places to really feel it, tough... would hope to visit that place someday, too :)
Posted on: Nov 18, 2008
Sunrise5 says:
Hey, check out the Alchemia when you'll be there - it's so weird! But don't forget your torch then^^
Posted on: Nov 06, 2008
Polish day of independence -11/11/…
Polish day of independence -11/11…
Marketplace, Old Town