Hungry Brazilians

Riga Travel Blog

Upon arrival
As soon as we set foot in Riga the feel was different to a relatively sleepy Tallinn. With almost twice the population of Tallinn, Riga is bigger, and the first noticable difference is the prominance of the bars. After joining the EU Latvia's economy has grown much quicker than its Baltic neighbours. The hostel was really hard to find. Fun Frank's as it is called are not allowed to have a sign outside the front of the building due to recent Latvian laws relating to what you can put on old refurbished buildings such as Frank's. The welcome at Frank's provides you with your first insight into the beuatiful Latvian women, two of which were manning the desk at the hostel with a free beer in hand for Si and I to help us pass the time as they rallied around sorting out our check in details and our room.
Sensible Simon risk assessing
The stereotypes are true, the women here are blonde and slim, in fact the guys are all quite broad shouldered and also quite athletic in comparison to the slightly rounder Estonians

The Hostel this time was less cosy, much bigger and had its own bar. We had a Brazilian guy called Ham or something like that who was at first really shy, but jopined us on our second night out in Riga and ended up being a right laugh and wouldn't shut up when we tried to go to sleep in the early hours of Friday morning. He's a med student in Russia here to get his Visa sorted for another stint near Moscow. He's also a very hungry man an doesn't like being without food - he can say ''help I'm hungry'' in 7 languages. Met a few older travellers too, including Peter from Holland who insisted on showing me every photo he had taken thus far.
from the cable car

We met a good little crew in Riga, a couple of Canadian guys, couple of Finnish girls both about 3 feet tall (which made Si happy), one or which insisted telling us jokes in English (her second language), the other who poured a pint down me (accidently) on Thursday evening which made her so embarrassed and apologetic it had more of a detremental effect on her night than it did mine, Kim the Belgian ogre, a couple of English lads from Loughborough and Fedo from Utrect most of which we had met in the 'Skyline bar' which boasts panoramic views of the city from the 27th floor of one of Riga's 5 star hotels. The English boys were a laugh, if not a little loud at times. Yes, I'm saying that.

On Thursday we took a day trip to nearby Sigulda; an hour's train ride from Riga.
The other side of the valley
We'd heard you can bungee jump from a cable car here, or take a bobsleigh ride, but neither were open due to the mist that had descended on the place by the time we got to the cable car. It did however provide me with an opportunity for my best shot of the trip so far as the sun set behind the horizon through the mist as our cable car crossed the valley over the Guaja River as it winds towards Riga before reaching the Gulf of Riga and the Baltic Sea. Over the valley from the train station (which has no bridges meaning you must walk over the lines to get from the train to the station...) we were able to discover an Old Catlse ruins, and the largest cave in the Baltics. The cave still bears inscriptions from as early as the 17th century; drinking the water is supposed to be healthy and is said to increase one's lifespan. We decided against it though because it was orange.

Riga's Old town reminds me of Tallinn, cobble pavements and side streets. Vilnius was going to prove to be much different though...

JeAr says:
even worse than the Irish? lol :D
Posted on: Nov 18, 2008
zoidberg61 says:
JeAr: trust me, if Jase is complaining that they're loud then they must be absolutely deafening.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2008
stratosonico says:
I think the Brazilian is like that because the lack of churrasco, lol
Posted on: Nov 11, 2008