Hills and Failures at Football

Vilnius Travel Blog

The gates to Vilnius Old Town

Friday early evening and we arrive in Vilnius. First impressions of Vilnius based on the coach station and surrounding area left a suspiciousness in my head equal to the time I was on my way to the Carling Cup final against Spurs (as a Chelsea fan) and my mate Julian and I ended up in a tube carriage winging it's way up the jubilee line to Wembley Park rammed to the rafter with expectant spurs fans. We were the minority and we knew it.

A 5 minute stroll (taking 15 minutes - yes... Si had the map again) and we were at the Old Town hostel, the cosiest of the hostels so far, 5 minutes walk from the centre of the Old Town. the kitchen was downstairs and before long we were meeting with other travellers exchanging stories and drinking. Unfortunately the Finns (who we had shared a room with in Riga) had followd us to Vilnius, and to our hostel, and in fact, to our room :( They were loud and smelly last time round and a coach trip to the most southern of the Baltic nations hadn't improved their hygeine.

Ingreda, Laura, and Si.

We'd hit up a couple of people on TravBuddy before getting to Vilnius and that night we met Ieva and Darius who kindly agreed to take us (now inculding a couple of guys from the hostel too) out around town. A great night was had by all and the locals were the freindliest so far we'd encountered. Vilnius isn't as big as Riga and Lithuanian hospitality has yet to be scared by hoards of Stag do goers as it has been in Riga. A happy mediun between a relatively sleepy Tallinn and raucus Riga, Vilnius is our favourite of the Baltic countries' capitals.

The next day we had a quiet one, strolled around the Old Town and chilled in the hostel in the evening before heading out to a more touristy evening than the previous night in Prospekter Club. Eating in Lithuania is very cheap. Before getting on the beers Si and I found an Italien restaurant which could easily have been found in the heart of Mayfair, with a posh nosh vibe to it.

A turret on top of the Castle
Our meals and beers came to 4 quid each. On the Sunday we met up with some more people from Travbuddy, Laura and Ingreda who showed us up the Catlse on the Hill, where Vilnius was founded, and the Three Crosses the other side of the river about which there are many threories about what they represent, one of which claims seven Franciscan monks, were torchured to death (crucified and thrown into the Vilnia River, according to some sources) on 4 March 1333by local pagan inhabitants. The chapel was erected on the spot where they died and the crosses were added later on.
The Three Crosses

We'd planned with some of the other folk from the hosel to get catch Vilnius Vetras, the local Lyga 1 football team having checked on the websote for the time; kick off was a 18:00. I know I've made a few faux pas in the past when using the 24hr clock (most notably missing my flight back from Korea because I read 13:30 as 3:30) but I was sure that meant 6PM in normal time... Apparantly not. The stadium was empty with nobody to be seen apart from a sign stating that kick off was at 14:00.

We liked Vilnius so much we stayed another night and chilled out with Darius, his girlfriend, and one of their friends for an hour or two on the Sunday night to say thanks again for a great night on Friday. We headed back early though as we had a long day ahead of us on Monday...

sheylla says:
xe..xe.. still no pics? :Pp i'm toooooooooooooo curious :)))) how is it going guys?? :) where are u now? :)
Posted on: Nov 26, 2008
elliotjp says:
Pictures are coming I promise!! Watch this space...
Posted on: Nov 24, 2008
sheylla says:
in their camera :Pp i also would love to see them :PPP
Posted on: Nov 20, 2008