Gardens and Schoodic Point

Bar Harbor Travel Blog

Thuya Garden

We went into town for breakfast and found a little place tucked down an alley called Cafe This Way.  It was a great surprise.  It looks like it used to be a garage with a concrete floor and a still functioning garage door, but the place is hippy artsy with red walls and Georgia O'Keefe-like art all over the place.  The menu is eclectic and broad.  I had a terrific dish of eggs Benedict with smoked trout.

After that we drove to the gardens, Thuya and Asticou, which aren't really part of Acadia.  They were both a little tricky to find, but worth a short visit.  We also took a drive back over to Somesville to stop at the often photographed white pedestrian arch bridge.  After that we headed up to Schoodic Point, which is a part of Acadia National Park that is on the mainland a short drive north from Ellsworth.  There is some beautiful scenery there of rocks with crashing waves if your timing is right.

That night we went to Havana in Bar Harbor for a change from the typical seafood fare.  I was pleasantly surprised at both the quality of the food and the wine list.  I wouldn't call it a Cuban restaurant.  It's more like new American with a little bit of Latin influence here and there, but everything I had was delicious.  I had roasted duck on fried plantains for a starter and short ribs with a root vegetable mash for my entree.

Mom at Thuya Garden
Egg Rock
Egg Rock
Bar Harbor Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Cuban in Maine?
If you are visiting Bar Harbor and want a break from the everyday seafood and typical New England food, Havana is definitely unique and different than… read entire review
Bar Harbor