First impressions

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

 › entry 13 of 20 › view all entries


Before I knew was approx 7 AM again and the sun was coming though curtain of the bus.  I wondered what time was breakfast after the little dinner that I had been given.  I saw people helping themselves to coffee and I helped myself.  I saw the attendant come, take coffee and pasteries and disappear.  I was not happy.

Around 8:30 AM, I was served breakfast.  It was food, that is all that I can say.  I meet a french lady who was very impressed with the service that she had gotten.  Same ride--two totally differant experainces. 

Before long, traffic started to get heavy and I knew we were getting close.  We were meant to get in at 9:30 AM, but we arrived a few minutes late approx 10 AM.  When travelling for 12 hrs and only 30 minutes late, I was impressed.  The driver did apologize for being late.

After getting my bags, it was time to get to the hostel. 

I was set upon by a person who wanted to offer me a ride to the hotel for 35 pesos.   Since I knew better, I had to decline.  After exiting the building, I was set upon by normal drivers---they offered me 30 pesos--I offered back 25 pesos.  One accepted and off we went. We chatted in broken spanish about the women and the city.  It was a nice warm day and I was liking the city.  Before I knew it--we were flashing pass the Presenditial House.  The driver corrected me and made certain that I knew that the President was a woman.  I could see some of the military in celemonary dress.  We were at the hostel.   Instead of wanting we had agreed, the driver wanted what the meter said approx 14 pesos--I gave him 20 pesos and told him to keep the change.  I lugged by bags up the stairs and I was at the hostel.

I was greeted with a warm smile and told that my bed was not ready.  I did not mind--I was not ready for sleep.  I was also told about a BBQ that they were having, and what my total might be.  I told them that I did not have the money yet, and that was no problem.  I was given a map of the city with the important highlights and invited to finish breakfast.  I did not have to be asked twice. 

Breakfast was some rolls and jam and some oranges.  I talked with a couple of lads, and then it was time to hit the street.  I made certain that I had the address of the hostel in my pocket--just in case.  I went down towards the Congress and took a few pictures.   Again--I wished I had my camera--but what could I do?  Nothing.

I then descided to head up 9th of July Anv.  which reminded me a little of manhatten as it was very busy.  There are tons of tourist shops and I popped into a few to see what was available.  There was tons of little stuff.  They would wait.  Going into a side street, I saw two men that looked like Charlie Chapin which I had to take a picture.  I was approched by a man about a possible Tango show later that night.  As the man led me into a building, but spider senses were ringing and telling me that this was not a good idea to do.  He was ahead of me--and I soon scooted outside of the buidling into waiting crowds.  After that encounter, it was time to head back to the hotel.

When I got back to the hotel, I asked them where was the American Airlines and ferry buidlings, which they kindly pointed out on my map and away I went.  Walking the street, I passed the main  Buquebus and walked to the ColoniaExpress building.  Colonia Express explained that they were all booked for Friday, but had 1 seat for Saturday.  Going to Buquebus--they just told me it would be approx 200 pesos for the high speed ferry.  What to do?  I walked back to the hostel and talked to the staff.  They suggested going on Friday since I would not want to be in Colonia over the weekend when there was alot to do over in Buenos Aires.  Instead of running right back out again, I descided to relax a little.  An hour later, it was off back to the office again, with credit card in hand.  When I got to the office, Colonia had already sold the ticket.  I descided just to wait and decide later what I was going to do.  I went to AA and they said that they had no space on the Monday flight, but had space on Tuesday..I just had to make up my mind what I wanted to do and the change would cost $150.  It was bank time--I took out 600 pesos and hopped it would be enough.

Back at the hotel, I talked with the staff and they said--why not book your trip online.  Why did I not think of that?  Thirty minutes later and getting help with the spanish forms, an e-ticket was in my yahoo account.  When I went to print it, alas--could not open the file.

Taking flash drive inhand--I went outside to the nearest internet place and printed the pdf files.  Internet access can be had for as little as 1.5 pesos an hour--I paid 2 this time.  Walking in the streets--I noticed a political demostration.  They had followed me from Brazil.  I took a few pictures of them.  As the crowd moved, the police shut Av.  De Mayo.  Once the crowd had passed, I walked into some of the side streets, but nothing too far away. 

Before I knew it, it was time 8 PM for dinner. 

Dinner was upstairs on the hostelĀ“s terrace overlooking BA.  Dinner was a typical Argentine BBQ, tons of meat and salad.  It also gave me a a chance to get to know the people in the hostel.  Good food and meeting new people.  By the time that dinner had ended, I was tired.  I spent a little time on the computer, then got ready for bed.  I was in Buenos Aires--time for some fun.




Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Buenos Aires Hostels review
Great Hostel in the city center
The hostel is three hostels in 1 building. You can go from 1 floor to another floor very freely. The top floor--is where the bar is and sometimes … read entire review