Cebu... B (Day 1)

Cebu Travel Blog

Lapu-Lapu and his abs hehe
We arrived at Mactan International Airport in Cebu at around 3 PM. It was too cloudy there giving a gloomy feel to my arrival. This and my terrible hangover didn't hamper my spirit. Cebu has been my home for 4 years when I was still attending the university. The gloomy weather couldn't ruin the nostalgia that I was feeling when I arrived in Cebu. I still felt at home there despite of the years that I had been away.

My friend who lives in Cebu phoned me and informed me that he would be picking me up in the airport. This was really a sweet surprised. I had assumed that my friends there have daywork, thus they would only be available to see me after office.
Lapu-Lapu Shrine
I was glad that I would be touring Cebu with my friend driving for me. How lucky could I be!

Anyway, since the airport is in Mactan Island, the Lapu-Lapu Shrine is on this island too, I asked my friend to go there before we make our way to the city. The Magellan's marker is also in the vicinity of the Shrine, both as a memorial of the battle that happened when Magellan landed there in 1521.

Brief history of the place. Magellan was a Portuguese navigator who sailed from Europe under the blessing of Spain to reach the Spice Island via the Pacific Island route to prove that the world is round and to prove that the Spice Island belonged to Spain under the Treaty of Tordesillas. (Gosh, this is too geek, but I have to write this).
Magellan's Marker
After battling the unforgivable weather of South America then the Pacific Ocean, they landed in the island of Samar ( a part of the Philippines now) in 1951. The first Christian mass was held there. Excited about the fact that the islands he "discovered" were rich with spices, he then wanted to go to the most progressive city during that time, and it was Cebu. Magellan was able to convert the chieftain of Cebu to Christianity. Feeling invincible, he also wanted to convert the chieftain of Mactan, Lapu-Lapu. Cebu and Mactan was on war with each other that time. Magellan, having the delusion that he was given special divine mission and divine power to spread Christianity, he went to Lapu-Lapu despite of the warning and tried to coerce him into Christianity.
Me and lapu-Lapu. I wish I have that abs too. hehe
This angered the chieftain and ordered the attack. This is the first recorded battle between the east and the west. Lapu-Lapu killed Magellan, ending his dream of circumnavigating the world in that battle. Several years later, only 18 survivors of the original fleet reached Europe. They loss four ships and 219 lives. This navigation sans Magellan was the first to complete the circumnavigation of the globe.

Lapu-Lapu is regarded by Filipinos to be the first Filipino hero. He is honored not because he killed Magellan but because he was among the first to reject submission to a foreign power.

By the way, Lapu-Lapu is also the name of a common fish here in the Philippines. So when I was growing up, one of my vivid memories was that of this part rhyme, part joke - "Who killed Magellan, Lapulapu! Who killed Lapulapu, the kusinero (the cook)!)".

After the visit, we went to the city. By the time we had reached Cebu, it was raining and the city was in total darkness due to the bad weather. Our first stop was our school, USC-TC. I had planned to take some pictures of the place because I have no pictures of the place when I was still studying there; due to the weather, this would be impossible. Anyway, we just decided to drop by the department and checked if there's any that we can still recognize. After 8 years of my absence, there were still few in the faculty that I know and knows me. We stayed there for 2 to 3 hours just recollecting stories of our yesteryears. I felt so old now. hahahaha
planisphere says:
yeah.. may kurot sa puso pag alma mater talga. hehehe
Posted on: Oct 17, 2008
coffeefairy says:
i love that statue of Lapu-Lapu! I was in all awe when I saw it. :)
It's really nice to go back to your alma mater, no? :)
Posted on: Oct 17, 2008
abubu says:
ayan nagcomment na ko.. .hehhee. congrats!
Posted on: Oct 16, 2008
Magellans Marker
Magellan's Marker
Me and lapu-Lapu. I wish I have th…
Me and lapu-Lapu. I wish I have t…
photo by: TravellinChic