Arriving at Istanbul at night

Istanbul Travel Blog

Istanbul had always been one of my dream destinations; being so close and so far away in the same time. I wanted to visit the mosques to the sound of the prayers from the speaker above and especially sense the trading in the bazaar. I was sure that Istanbul was a city that I could spend much more time in than a weekend but I was looking forward to get my first taste of this large country and especially in the metropol.

We were only going for the weekend; flying out Friday evening after work and returning with the first flight back to Brussels in the Monday morning. In the airport we were in last, even the very last moment, but the plan was delayed for 30 minutes so were able to catch our breath before we found our seats.

Landing in Istanbul airport gives you a first impression of how large this country is and that you have entered a totally different part of Europe. The differences of the people and the number of nationalities in the passport control, was amazing. We very quickly got our suitcases and found an ATM to have some local currency for the taxi.

Before going out of the airport we were approached by a taxi organizer at the National car rental that booked us the taxi to and from the hotel, this turned out to be an expensive start but what we could go fast to the hotel and that was what we both needed.

Outside it was raining cats and dogs. All drivers were having a field day driving like maniacs and we managed to view a couple of accidents on our way to the hotel. At the hotel we were met by a very friendly night porter that checked us in. The hotel room had everything but space; it was a very small room on the ground level next to reception, not a room that brought the smiles on our lips but what; we were not going to spend the most of our time there.

pvtjoy says:
I love Istanbul also!!!!
It's so beautiful!
So much history!
I love it!
Posted on: Nov 03, 2008
JP-NED says:
Yes it was too far, but you like to drive in a car, so it's a little excuse! (LOL)
Posted on: Oct 16, 2008
Chokk says:
I used Tyrkish Airling - It worked very well and had a high level of service, besides that I found them cheap, 280€ for a return - on a fairly short notice.
Posted on: Oct 15, 2008
Istanbul General Tips & Advice review
Some good some bad
It was my first time in Istanbul and we landed shortly before 11 pm and on top of this my girlfriend was getting really sick with the flue. I was not … read entire review
Istanbul General Tips & Advice review
Turkish Airlines - a really good carrier
It was my first time flying Turkish Airlines and I didn’t know what to expect. We were taking the early evening plane out of Brussels airport and we… read entire review
photo by: Memo