Finally!

Bowie Travel Blog

humorous tombstone

I have lived within a half hour of Six Flags America for 4 years now.  Being a roller coaster fan, I decided this year that my lack of a visit to such a close amusement park was an ill that needed to be remedied.  Thanks to a buy-one-pass-get-one-pass coupon I had picked up at Burger King, I had strong leverage to entice (coerce) some friends into joining me for a fall trip to Six Flags.

We arrived at the entrance 30 minutes late (Mapquest lied again, this time to Becky), 15 dollars cheaper (parking is a bit pricey in my opinion), and full of energy.  We passed easily through the metal detectors (although the attendant beeped at mine, I was amused) and then paused to read some of the humorous tombstones decorating the entry plaza.

We wandered a little ways and found ourselves at our first roller coaster of the day: The Wild One.  A wooden ride, this relatively-mild coaster provided us with a few bumps and a good warm up for the day.  We next tackled Roar, also wooden but higher and more jarring.  I found myself squeezing my eyes tightly a few times to ease the jolting ever so slightly.

While Marea and Faith took a short restroom break, Becky and I perused the map which made me happy; I almost always do better when I have a visual of where I am.  We also picked out our next few rides.  First up: bumper cars!  Faith offered to drive for me so I could get some pictures while on the ride.  This was a neat idea that was slightly thwarted by the attraction's design: cars were only allowed to go in one direction, so I was at the wrong angle for a number of shots.

spookies and cream Dippin' Dots!

We then headed deeper into Coyote Creek to Mind Eraser, our first metal roller coaster.  The red and yellow loops of its track contrasting nicely with the Old West browns, this ride takes visitors on a looping journey.  Our feet dangling added to the flying sensation.

After this ride, Marea's headache came back, so we stopped for a short snack and then the other three of us went on Rodeo, a ride of spinning cows which just happen to also be bucking up and down.  This was our longest wait so far of the day; although the ride was a minor attraction, each car had to be opened and shut individually by the lone attendant.

We then left the Old West theming for the comic book feel of Gotham City.  We opted to go on the fairly tame Penguin ride first since Becky wasn't feeling up to another roller coaster yet.

This tube ride carried us to the top of the hill and then released us down a watery chute, brightly painted in yellow, red, and blue.  The main excitement is not the water though but the spinning; we rotated around and around and around before splashing down and floating towards the penguin statue just before the loading and unloading platform.

Marea had suggested we get Dippin' Dots after this attraction, an idea we all agreed on.  I enjoyed my Spookies 'n' Cream: vanilla-flavored orange beads of ice cream with Oreo cookie chunks mixed in.

We continued through Gotham City with a slight pause at the Superman ride.  While I was game for it, the extremely steep first drop scared off my companions, so we trekked over to the Batman themed coaster (and I do mean trek, the entrance is all the way at the end of its own path!).

fall decoration
  The wait turned out to be about an hour long due to technical difficulties.  One of the two trains wasn't locking right, so they shifted everyone behind us over to the other loading platform.  Then the first train started working again, so they sent people back to our side.  Then that same train had another problem but eventually they worked it out.  This coaster was definitely worth the wait!  We sat down and were strapped in.  This is one of the few roller coasters that I have ever felt snug in; I'm so small that normally there's wiggle room even when there's not supposed to be any extra space (I've gotten used to being knocked around a little).  No such problem here :)  The seats then leaned back until we were lying down on our backs.
spiders!
  The climb up the hill was filled with anticipation as was the slow beginning to the downhill drop.  As we picked up speed, the cars twisted around and now we were facing straight down, the ground right beneath our eyes.  I absolutely loved the flying feeling of this coaster.

Batwing ended up being our last major attraction of the day.  We noticed a few supernatural characters wandering around the park, got a late dinner, said good-bye to Marea and Faith, and joined the line for Six Flags Bridge of Terror.  We waited over a half hour before entering the dark bridge in a small group.  Fog misted around us as we walked past goblins and ghouls.  One especially tall creature scared the youngest member in our group enough to send her running back towards the entrance.  However, I did not find the walkthrough attraction overly frightening which actually surprised me since normally I am not a fan of scary events.  We finished our visit with a quick check of the gift shop near the entrance.

Dr_Seuss says:
I love theme parks. Took four years for you to get there :-O

Went to Alton Towers in UK when they did a Hallowe'en Spooktacular. Great fun :-)
Posted on: Aug 30, 2009
pinchora says:
Oh I love fright fests at amusement parks!!! They're so much fun!!! =)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
humorous tombstone
spookies and cream Dippin Dots!
spookies and cream Dippin' Dots!
Marea and Faith on the Wild One