Alumni Day

West Mifflin Travel Blog

Thunderbolt

I love amusement parks but I really enjoy them best with company.  My college sponsored an Alumni Day at Kennywood Park.  One of my former hallmates joined me for the day.  I met up with her just outside of Pittsburgh and we carpooled from there.  We found a spot in the free parking lot and ten minutes later were in the park.

The park opened at 10:30, rides started at 11.  We got there around 11:30 since I had needed to go back to my house and pick up my fogotten ticket (oops).  There was already a long line for Jackrabbit, the first roller coaster we wanted to ride.  Kate suggested to go to the back of the park.  Her suggestion paid off; we walked right onto the Thunderbolt, my favorite ride in the park.

entrance to the indoor coaster

After zipping through this thrill ride, we took a tamer approach in riding the Whip and then the indoor ride The Exterminator which is Kate's favorite ride.

We tried to get on Phantom's Revenge but the ride was experiencing technical difficulties (aka four passengers were stuck in the seats when the restraint bars didn't release).  We rode the Pirate, a laid back ride and then we walked through Noah's Ark which is fun even if it feels dated.

Lunch was picked up in two different places.  First, French fries with seasoning from the Potato Patch and then chicken sandwiches from a place near our college's pavillion.  We got our drinks at the pavillion (part of the Alumni Day ticket from noon to seven).  We took a break to eat and then set off again.

the waterfall

The Log Jammer ride got me more wet than Kate thanks to me sitting in the front.  I also think the water was running high.

In the afternoon we would ride three roller coasters: the Racers, the Jackrabbit, and Phantom's Revenge (although this might have been before lunch, I can't remember exactly).  Kate was not happy on our way up the first hill but she had fun screaming after that.

As the afternoon and heat continued we took a chance on the Raging Rapids.  Of course Kate had to comment that she didn't like getting caught by the waterfall so we both got soaked.  The younger girl in our tube seemed disappointed that she didn't walk away more drenched.  Ghostwood Estate--a ride through aim-and-shoot ride--got the benefit of our definitely wet bums after that.

game face

We would re-ride Ghostwood Estate twice that day for a total of three rides.  I am pitiful at this ride, my top score was only 750.  We also re-rode the Exterminator (longest wait of the day of about an hour), the Thunderbolt (which then got stuck within five minutes of our exit), and the Jackrabbit.

Dinner was back at the pavillion, also part of our ticket.  I was impressed by the ticket's bargain.  For about ten dollars less than a normal entrance fee, I got dinner, a T-shirt, and free beverages throughout most of the day.  The T-shirt is a fairly nice one, soft although a little slow to dry.

Later in the day we picked up Garfield's Nightmare, the train, the Bumper Cars, Bayern Kurve (which might have been a new ride for me), the Carousel and the Kangaroo.  We also watched part of the Laser Light show but were not overly impressed.  There was a little bit of sprinkling rain during the show which looked pretty cool in the laser beams.

We also made time for Dippin' Dots sundaes and fried Oreos.

We left around 10 PM, shortly before a torrential downpour :)

fountain in Lost Kennywood
fountain in Lost Kennywood
at the Pirate
at the Pirate
Log Jammer
Log Jammer
my Dippin Dots sundae, yes those …
my Dippin' Dots sundae, yes those…
Kates sundae
Kate's sundae
not where you want to be although …
not where you want to be although…
Phantoms Revenge about to plunge
Phantom's Revenge about to plunge
the Bayern Kurve is fast!
the Bayern Kurve is fast!
carousel