Come Worship with Us

Kilgore Travel Blog

The front of the church

I am often asked how do you do 'church'? I get even more questions about how we do worship at Chandler Street, so I thought I would give a little overview of our worship every Sunday morning. I hope everyone will be encourage to join us for worship if you ever pass this way. You can check our website for more specifics. www.cscoc.com

What to Expect at a Sunday Service at Chandler Street Church of Christ

We recognize that it can be a bit intimidating coming into a church service for the very first time, so I thought it might be helpful to give you a bit of a "heads up" on what to expect.

the lobby
When you enter the lobby you will be greeted and handed an information bulletin called the Chatter. Anyone around will help you find a seat in the auditorium or, for classes, will help you find the right location. In the lobby and hallway you will see various information and ministry bulletin boards. You will also see a table where you can find printed information on a variety of Chandler Street ministries. Before the worship begins you will see the current church announcements displayed on the screen at the front of the auditorium.

MUSIC

As our worship begins, you will notice our music is somewhat different … it is acappella (without instruments). We treasure this method of worship music because it encourages everyone to participate in the singing.

our leadership board
You will hear beautiful four-part harmony as we sing. We have a song leader to assist the congregation in singing the various parts of the music. We sing a mixture of classic hymns and current praise music. We don't expect you to know the words of all the songs, so we project the words on the screen at the front of the auditorium. Written music is also provided for most songs in the song books in the pews. If you don't know the tune or the harmony, just listen and join in when you are ready. We usually begin our worship with songs of praise to God.

THE LORD’S SUPPER
We partake of the Lord’s Supper every Sunday. The bread and the cup are passed to the congregation and in fellowship with each other and with Jesus; we commune together in memory of the Lord’s death, burial, and resurrection and proclaim our belief in his sacrifice for our sins. If you are a believer in Jesus, you are welcome to commune with us.

Kids Chat
Following the Lord's Supper there is a special time for young children called "Kids Chat" during which the children come to the stage at the front of the auditorium while the congregation sings a song.

The commnion table
The talk is generally given by our family and youth minister. The short message is brought to the kids at their level. If your children feel comfortable, they are welcome to participate. After Kids Chat, we dismiss the children (up through 4th grade) to a special class.

THE SERMON
Every Sunday we have a message from a Bible passage or topic, most often given by our pulpit minister. The intent of the message is to draw us closer to understanding and fellowshipping with God and to challenge us to live lives of faithful service in His kingdom. The lesson usually ends with an invitation for those who want to be baptized, place membership with the
Chandler Street Church, or ask for the prayers of the church. If you have special needs, our elders and their wives, our ministers or any number of our deacons are available at the end of the service.

Our preacher, Chris Vidacovich
If you have special prayer needs, one of our elders will be available to pray with you.

THE OFFERING

We also take a collection each Sunday to give the members an opportunity to support the work of the Chandler Street Church of Christ and all her related outreach and mission efforts. If you are a visitor, there is no expectation for you to give.

CLOSING REMARKS
Our worship time usually ends with some remarks about special events and church family matters. Then we sing a closing song and end with prayer.

APPROPRIATE DRESS
Some people have asked: What do I wear? At
Chandler Street you will be comfortable dressing casual to “Sunday dress-up.

oops, forgot to turn on the lights
” We provide a very comfortable setting that focuses on people and not appearance. The only thing we ask is that you dress modestly.

CONCLUSION
We think you will find the Chandler Street Church of Christ to be a friendly and helpful group of people. You will not be embarrassed or singled out for any particular emphasis. We’ll just be glad to have you and welcome the opportunity to serve you in the name of Jesus.

See ya on Sunday!

martinezsmi says:
very nice not to different from my church (maybe less structure rigid) sounds nice though
Posted on: Nov 09, 2008
rogers10 says:
So that's how you do. Interesting
Posted on: Oct 21, 2008
oops, forgot to turn on the lights
what I see when I preach, but with…
what I see when I preach, but wit…
The communion Table
The communion Table
Our Youth Minister, Lane Brown
Our Youth Minister, Lane Brown
Me along with two of students in t…
Me along with two of students in …
One of our 5 elders, Pete.
One of our 5 elders, Pete.
One of our Deacons, Joe