Rio de Janeiro, July 10-July 14

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

Rio was our second stop in Brazil and we arrived to Rio from Sao Paulo. Before leaving Denmark I remember all the scary stories that people told us about Rio. " Watch out for pickpockets, robberies etc." First of all our Brazilian friends from Sao Paulo could also give us some pieces of good advise and second of all it was not our first time in Rio. By the way, it seems very logic that we can't  behave in the same way as in Denmark.We visited Rio in 2005, and we were not so lucky with the weather, a lot of clouds making it not worthwhile to pay a visit to the Corcovado and Sugar Loaf, but honestly you cant stay in Rio without having visited these tourist attractions, so we waited until our last day in Rio and went in spite of the weather.

Last year we were lucky. Good weather for a trip. I went outside our hotel Iberostar Copacabana which I had booked on the internet before our departure from Denmark. The hotel was fully booked because of The Pan American Games and a lot of cultural activities in Rio during our stay of 4 days. Anyway I picked out some taxi drivers, each of them required different prices for a trip which was not a big surprise for me, but in this business of bargaining, you have to use a good portion of charm together with a good portion of psychology, which usually will result in running off with a taxidriver who has the best price and moreover is a quite good tourist guide:):) LOL . He even stopped by a favela (slum), which was about 15 minutes drive from the hotel. Very huge contrasts in a short distance.We were told in the reception of Iberostar upon arrival not to walk on the beach at night. The trip to Corcovado and Sugar Loaf lasted around 4 hours and we enjoyed the views:):)

In the evening we were having our first dinner in Rio. Asked in the reception if they could recommend a good restaurant. He recommended us a lot, but we chose Marius which sounded very good and special. It was fantastic, the service was 100%, the food was unforgettably delicious and the atmosphere remarkable. You can choose between the meat restaurant or the fish restaurant. The stylish waiters were walking around the tables with big "spears" of different kinds of meat. On the table you had a card with a green side in 7 languages for the answer:"Yes, please!", "Sim, por favor!", "Si, por favor!" ,"Oui, s'il vous plait!", "Si, per favore!" ,"Ja, bitte!" and the last in Japanese:):) Sorry, can't write it!!!!! The red side was the answer: "No, thanks!" Não, obrigado!", "No, gracias!", "Non, merci!","No, grazie!", "Nein, danke!" and the last in Japanese:):) Sorry can't write it!!!! There was a big buffet with many kinds of salad, deserts, cakes. For all this pleasure I paid about 160 Euro for the 3 of us. Worth the money, indeed. The first visit to Marius resulted in a second visit the evening before we left Rio. As I mentioned above, there were many cultural activities in Rio, music on Copacabana, mini carnivals etc.

When we left Iberostar Copacabana we had a surprise:):) We got an xtra bill of 120 Euro only for laundry:) The most funny thing about this xtra bill of the laundry was that I found out sitting in the plane to Salvador that they made a mistake in the calculation of the clothes.