Kangaroo Island

Kangaroo Island Travel Blog

The best place that I visited during my time in Australia so far, has been Kangaroo Island.

It is a small-ish island off the coast of Adelaide. We were on the island for 3 days and 2 nights. There are several cheep camping areas on the island and the best part was that most of the beaches were quiet.

We took the ferry across to the island and stopped off at the information point for maps and information on what there was to do. We drove around and checked out some of the beaches, and then headed over to a Seal Bay that promised seeing one on the 2 types of seals on the island...The Australian Sea Lions. They take you right down onto the beach, and it is covered in sunbathing Sea Lions. They seemed pretty unphased by our presence.

At one point we must have been less than 2 meters from one. It was really sweet watching the mothers come back from a days fishing and try to find their pup.

The next morning, we did a 'koala walk' near the camping area we had stayed at. We saw 3 Koalas and I lost count of how many Tammar Wallabies we saw. We then drove to Cape Willoughby Lightstation, a cute little lighthouse which made a few nice photos. We also managed to see a couple of Heath Goannas (Large Lizards).

We then headed to Admirals Arch to see the second type of seal that calls Kangaroo Island Home...New Zealand Fur Seals.
We didn't get as close to these as we did the Australian Sea Lions. There was a footpath that took us down the cliff front and we could see all the seals on the rocks below. Not far from Admirals Arch were a collection of rocks called Remarkable Rocks. They look like a large collection of strangely carved rocks. What made then so incredible (or should I say Remarkable) was the fact that they are completely natural. Carved only be the sea and the weather over thousands of years.

For dinner, we drove back across the island and into Kingscote, where we found a fresh seafood and take away store. We got a fish basket, and it was the best tasting fish and scallops I have ever eaten. We walked down to the jetty to watch the pelican feeding while we ate. I have never seen so many or been so close to pelicans as here. It is defiantly worth seeing.

For our last night on the island, we found a really cute little camping area which as a very pretty view over American river. This was defiantly my favourite camping place out of all the ones we stayed in in the whole of Australia. It even had showers!

On the last day, we drove down onto one beach called 'Emu Bay'. We drove to the end of the beach and stopped near a small wreckage about 50 meters in the sea to do some snorkelling. Just as we stopped, I spotted two dorsal fins sticking out of the water near the shore. 'DOLPHINS!...' I shouted, and immediately grabbed my mask and flippers and ran into the sea (Lucky for me they were dolphins and not sharks). We then spent about half an hour snorkelling with these two wild dolphins. They were swimming circles around me and they came close enough for me to tough.

Swimming with dolphins has been a dream of mine since I was about 5 years old!

When we eventually came ashore again, dried off, and got back in the van to head back down the beach, we managed to get our van stuck in the sand. Lucky for us, a very nice man just happened to be kayaking past as saw us trying to dig out our van, so he stopped to help. And just a short 30 minutes later we were free and driving back down the beach. Part way back down the beach we saw the two dolphins again and stopped to join them again for a bit. when they finally got bored of us and swam away, we  went back to then van and off to the ferry that would take us back to mainland Australia.

Kangaroo Island is a truly beautiful island. There is so much to see and do there. I would defiantly recommend that everyone should go if they get the chance.

Echidnas