Castle Neuswanstein

Schwangau Travel Blog

First glance of Castle Neuswanstein
Today I did a day trip from Munich to see the "Fairy tale Castle". I was part of a tour group that met at the train station in Munich, then we all travelled on the same train to Fussen, a 2 hour train ride. The weather was perfect, clear without a cloud in the sky. Once we arrived in Fussen, we transfered to a bus then it was a short while and we were in Schwangau. Included in the price of the tour ticket was a ticket to see the inside of the Castle.

It was amazing watching the countryside from the train and seeing the mountains approach you as you got closer.
The countryside was so beautiful here and the weather was perfect (I know that I've said this already but it was extremely lucky that we had good weather, it turned bad the next day.). Arriving in Schwangau the group got together and we started walking up towards the castle. The walking paths going up were a little steep so halfway up I was already huffing and puffing. But it was hard to take notice of your wearyness as you kept on seeing beautiful countryside, awesome views and this incredible castle. Once we got to the castle we then had to wait for our turn before we could take the inside tour. So we waited outside the castle and admired the view. then it was our turn. And it was so dissapointing when the tour guide told us that we were not allowed to take photo's of the inside of the castle. We were only allowed to take at the windows looking out over the countryside.
Our tour guide had also said that we had the option to walk towards the bridge that was higher up on the mountain, but in order to do this we couldn't take our time inside the castle. So I made my way through the castle as quickly was I could, got outside and started walking towards the bridge. The outside of the Castle was having renovations done to it so it was a let down when I got to the bridge. It would have made the perfect picture looking towards the castle with the countryside behind it. But the castle was scared with scaffolding. And the bridge was a little scary. As you walked on it you felt the boards flex a little under your weight, and when you notice how high up you are your legs turn to stone, and you have to really use your mind to tell your legs to walk.

We then left the Castle and caught the bus to the train station in Fussen, and from there we caught the train back to Munich. We were rewarded with a very beautiful sunset while we were waiting for the train. And we arrived back in Munich at 7 in the evening. It had been a very magical day.
Schwangau