Rotorua & Skydiving in Taupo!

Taupo Travel Blog

At the Prawn Park in Taupo

I didn’t sleep too well, as we were right next to the main road through town, but at least I wasn’t too grumpy when I was woken up in the morning.

We made our way to Rotarua. We decided our first stop would be the Agrodome. I had heard a little about the place and it seemed like a good introduction to New Zealand.

Once we had parked our campervan, we decided to make some breakfast. It was kinda cool to just start up cooking in the middle of a car park.

We were contemplating to which activity we would do, and settle on the swoop. I wasn’t too nervous at first, but one I was been pulled all the way to the top, with a group of tourists watching, they were beginning to come out. I made sure that I wasn’t the one who had to pull the rip cord.

Once the cord was pulled, it was a pretty cool feeling to be swooping through the air with the rain in our faces. I have to admit though, that my tummy was in knots.

We decided to watch, as after we swooped, a few others decided to do it as well. The first people up were a groups of Japanese, and they were hilarious. I was in stitches, because the guys were screaming their lungs out like little girls. I’m glad I was already sipping on my hot chocolate at that time.

Our next stop was the Rotarua Gondola. The weather was pretty shitty, still drizzling, but we decided to go ahead anyways. As we were heading to the top, we couldn’t see too much, as the clouds were blocking our view, but once we got to the top, some of the clouds lifted for just enough time to take it in, and take a few pictures as well.

While we were up there we had some lunch and watched a few people on the bungy swing. There were only a couple of people who decided to brave the cold and rain though.

Our next stop was the Geothermal Park of Waiotapu. The rain was letting up, and as we arrived we finally smelt the real Rotarua. The funny thing is, we kind of got used to it after a while.

We got our umbrella’s ready, and headed off into the park. There were several walks we could have chosen from, but we decided to do all of them. All of the thermal pools looked amazing. The different colours, the smells, the heat, and their surroundings.

Once we were about half way through the walk, it decided to rain pretty heavily, so we got pretty wet. We soon came to the most famous pool of all, The Champagne Pool. It looked so nice, with its green and orange colours, with the steam floating at the top.

Our next stop along the way was Taupo.  I just have to say that I think this city is amazing! The activities are awesome, and the scenery was just breathtaking.

Skydiving in Taupo

We had stayed in a caravan in Taupo that overlooked Lake Taupo. We woke up pretty early and made our way to the Taupo airport, as I had decided that I would skydive! I mean, you can’t come to New Zealand and not skydive! So I found the place I wanted to skydive from, and made my appointment. It wasn’t until later that morning, so we headed out again.

We decided to go to the Huka Falls to go in the Huka Jet, but they had already booked out all of the seats for the morning. Next to the Huka Jet they had the Huka Prawn Farm, so we decided to go in and try to catch some Prawns.

Despite how weird that sounds, it was actually quite entertaining. But the little buggers kept getting away with my bait! We didn’t hang around for too long, and soon made our way off to get something to eat.

After that we went back to the skydiving place. I still wasn’t feeling nervous, so I went inside and started talking to the people in there. I was originally going to do the 13,000 ft jump, but I got talked out of that and decided on doing the 15,000 ft jump. There was only me and one girl from Germany who decided to jump from that high. Everyone else in our group were doing the shorter jump.

I decided that I couldn’t do the skydive without any evidence, so forked out even more money to get some pictures and a video taken of me doing it all.

So we all got fitted to our lovely red jumpsuits, with a black bum patch. How lovely. Then we watched a short video explaining what we needed to do exactly, and then met the guys we were going to be jumping with. I had this German guy, who was pretty cool.

I felt only a slight flicker of nerves as I boarded the plane, and then they were gone again. I could see the look of fear on some people’s faces, while others looked fine. Once we were at 13,000 ft, we watched as the first jumpers took off. It was so cool to see them all going through the air. It was soon time for us to jump. I still wasn’t nervous, until I was sitting with my body out of the plane waiting for my guy to jump.

Once we took the leap, all of the nerves disappeared again, and it was the most amazing feeling, and to top that off I had a minute of freefall with the most amazing views of Lake Taupo below me.

Once we had all landed, they made us do a bunch of goofy stuff for the dvd. It was a laugh watching it at the end though.

After the skydive, we headed to Lake Taupo. This is the largest lake in New Zealand. I just can’t describe how beautiful it is. It wasn’t a very warm day, in fact it was freezing, but the sun was out. So with the cold, it was pretty nice to pretty much have the whole place to ourselves.

At the Prawn Park in Taupo
Gotta love the jump suits!
Gotta love the jump suits!
My home in New Zealand