Bungy in Queenstown!

Queenstown Travel Blog

On the drive from Taupo to Wellington

After Taupo, we made the drive down south to Wellington. The drive out of Taupo is spectacular. It was one of the most beautiful drives I have been on.

Once we reached Wellington, we headed straight to the Ferry Terminal, just so we knew exactly where it was. We went for a look around Wellington, but we didn’t really find anything too interesting. So we headed back to the Ferry Terminal, and booked onto an earlier ferry over to Picton.

The ferry was horrible. I hated it. It stunk, the food was crap, and it was freezing on board. I was wearing so many layers of clothes, and no matter what I did, I just couldn’t get warm.

After a few hours, we finally arrived in Picton, and instead of finding somewhere to stay, I decided that I would keep on driving. I have to say that this was one of the most horrible, scariest drives I had ever done. It was about 2am, and I couldn’t see a thing. The roads were winding around in every direction, and it was raining. I eventually stopped a few hours later.

We were a little sneaky and parked ourselves next to a caravan park, rather than inside it for the night. But hey, it was very early by that time, and it would have been rude to wake everyone up, right? Haha….

The drive from our stop to Christchurch was ok. I was tired as we didn’t get much sleep, and we got up pretty early so we could get going again. We didn’t spent too long in Christchurch for the moment, as we were going to be there again before we went home. So we kept on going.

We ended up staying in a place called Alexandria for the night, which had the creepiest caravan park ever. The next morning it was freezing, and we got up early and headed for Queenstown.

The drive to Queenstown was nice, and the closer we got, the more beautiful it became. As we were approaching, we begun to see some of the signs for the snow fields, and I was getting excited, as I hadn’t been to the snow in more than 10 years.

Before we got into town, we stopped at the AJ Hackett Bungy. The one we stopped at was the original AJ Hackett Bungy, so there was a huge information centre, with a lot of information about bungy in New Zealand, and around the world. We watched a few people jump, but I decided that this jump was a little too easy for me, so I would go in search of another.

Once we got to Queenstown, we found a nice caravan park that overlooked the water. It was only a couple of minutes walk to the main streets of the town, so it was ideal.

The first thing we did it Queenstown was go to the Queenstown Gondola. The view on the way up were amazing. It was such a beautiful and clear day. Once we were up there, we took some pics of the view, had some lunch and then had a look around the place. We decided to have a few turns on the luge. It was a lot of fun, although I didn’t quite have the nerves to let it go too fast.

After that we went down to the AJ Hackett Bungy. The bungy sits 400 meters above Queenstown, so I thought that this would be the perfect jump for me. I was so nervous, and could feel my tummy churning as I made my way out to the platform. When they were fitting me into the equipment, I decided I had to go through with the jump, because two children just jumped off before me.

So I walked to the ledge to have my picture taken and then walked back to the centre of the platform again. This is where the guy told me to take a run up, and just jump out with my arms wide open! So, as nervous as I was, I began to ran, I jumped, and I screamed like a bitch! I don’t think I had my eyes open for the first second, but whoa, what a rush!

When they were pulling me back up, I was enjoying the views, but wanting to get my feet back onto the ground again.

That afternoon we went to have a ride on the Shotover Boat. I was thinking that it was going to be this awesome, fun ride, but to be honest it was so lame. I wasted all that money for no reason.

Once we headed back into town, we arranged to be picked up from our caravan the following morning, to be taken to the snow. So we hired some clothing and equipment, and then went to this lovely Thai restaurant for dinner. After that we headed back for an early nights sleep.

The next day we woke up nice and early. It was so cold, so we were glad we were wearing all of the snow gear. We waiting out the front of our caravan park to be picked up, and eventually were on our way. It was kind of scary driving up the mountain, so I was pretty glad when we got to the top.

We hadn’t been to the snow in over 10 years, so we decided to start practicing on one of the easy slopes. I think I fell over once or twice, but after the hang of it I was able to move pretty well. The only problem I had was stopping. I mean sometimes I could, but other times I was pretty bad…. Haha

That night we took our gear back to the hire shop, and decided to get some Mexican food for dinner. The restaurant was really full, and I was so excited to get into some tacos. I figured they would be pretty small, so I ordered three of them, but when they came out I realised that I wouldn’t finish them. They were so nice though.

After that we went to a small pub and just had a few drinks, and then headed back to the caravan park pretty early.

On the drive from Taupo to Welling…
On the drive from Taupo to Wellin…
On the drive to Queenstown
On the drive to Queenstown
The Shotover Jet
The Shotover Jet
Gorgeous Queenstown
Gorgeous Queenstown
Me on the AJ Hackett Bungy in Quee…
Me on the AJ Hackett Bungy in Que…
photo by: genetravelling