Auckland

Auckland Travel Blog

We arrived in Auckland around 2pm, and headed straight to the place where we had to pick up our campervan. After waiting around there for a few hours, we finally had it given to us, with a free upgrade, which was nice!

The first thing we did was stop off at the supermarket to stock up on some food and drinks, etc…. After that I really wanted to go and see Mt Eden, which is just outside the city. It was already getting dark though, and the rain had begun, so I was a little disappointed that I wouldn’t be able to see it so well.

We found it anyways, and it was freezing up there! I had on so many layers of clothing, and despite my best efforts to keep warm, I was failing big time.

The view from Mt Eden was stunning. We could see all of Auckland, and despite the rain, it made for  a really pretty backdrop.

Because we were held up for so long at the car hire place, we decided that we needed to press on out of Auckland that night as planned, so we decided to cook our first meal in the campervan, atop of Mt Eden. The food turned out quite well.

Our next stop was the Auckland Sky Tower. We found a close parking space, and walked in the light rain to the main entrance. We decided to go up to the highest viewing point, and see how Auckland looks from a 360 degree view. It was pretty nice, although the rain that had fallen on the windows made me feel like Mt Eden was the top spot.

We walked back to the van, and decided to head for Rotorua. We knew we would be pushing it to make it there that night, so we  eventually decided that we would just drive to Hamilton. I was thinking this would be a great opportunity to catch up with a friend of mine who had moved there several years ago, but at the time I didn’t have any way to contact her.

Once we arrived in Hamilton, we went in search of a caravan park to stop for the night. We were tired, and after a while decided that we would just pull up in the McDonalds car park, and make that our home for the night.

Auckland