Xian continues

Xi'an Travel Blog

Royal Gardens & Huaqing Palace

The royal gardens and hot springs were next to the Warriors so we stopped to walk around the garden. There are a few buildings that the emperors used as a place to relax and getaway. The Chinese used the hot springs and created indoor bathhouses 3000 years ago. It’s worth a walk around especially since its close by to the warriors.

The Dayan Pagoda

Best known Buddhist Temple in Xian. It is 7 stories tall and was built in 650. For $4 you can go inside and walk up the flights of stairs to the top for some good picture taking. Along the way up look at the murals on the walls.

Tang Dynasty Dinner Show

I know, I know, you don’t have to say it. I have never gone to one of these tourist shows in my life, but it was recommended by another traveler, so we decided to try it. It was dinner with traditional Tang dynasty music and dancing during and after dinner. I can’t believe I’m saying this. I actually enjoyed it. The food was ok, but the costumes, dancing and music of China 3000 years ago were really good. Also, we got our cheesy picture with one of the costumed dancers.

The next day it rained. I walked around the area and visited some different outdoor markets and did some shopping for gifts. We then went to the Great Mosque in Xian.

Xian Great Mosque

The mosque was built in 740 and is still in use today. While we were there they were holding midday prayers. We didn’t go in the main hall but you could see inside and hear them praying. The mosque is nice to see, but the cool part is getting there. If you have ever been to the souk in Casablanca, you know what I’m taking about. Narrow, winding streets of a bustling marketplace where one wrong turn and your lost for half and hour. This was a lot of fun and we spent quite a while wandering around buying trinkets and stuff.

City Wall

Now this is a City Wall. It is the largest and best-preserved city wall in China consisting of a 9-mile loop.

It is about 40-50 feet high and 50 feet wide. It is incredible that they built this. You can rent bikes and ride along the top of the wall. Do the entire loop if you like. We rented a tandem bike and rode about 3 miles down the wall. You really appreciate the time and effort to build this wall when you take a ride on top.

We are now going back to the airport and taking a flight tonight to Shanghai

photo by: Deats