From the rain forest back to civilization....

Alajuela Travel Blog

Tue 6am I am up seeing all sorts of birds...toucans, kingfishers, etc etc...we later walk the place, breakfast, walk some, and as if orchestrated for us, a brilliant small blue bird, and it's green mate the same size. We finally see some beautiful firey-billed aricari birds that look like mini-toucans, blue-gray tanagers, etc etc.... we relax by the pool for a long time. Groups are from Switzerland and Finland. A woman from Chicago nearly hires me to take her to see birds. We have a final lunch, sit out by the river dragging out our time. Check-out is 2pm and we leave 1:30 and head back up over the mountain ridge near Poas Volcano. In to fog and clouds we go, and it is raining as we negotiate the crazy downtown traffic in Alajuela, and turn the car in. Shuttle to airport, and catch the free shuttle over to our suite at the Quality Hotel. Heavy, crazy traffic, glad not to be driving the last 20 minutes. Nice final dinner using up colones at Rosti Pollo roasted chicken place across the driveway. I check e-mail in lobby, and learn brother got a foot of snow in Vermont, about the 100% chance of snow Wednesday in Indy! Yikes. Atlanta looks great for Dave. Catch up on the bad news on CNN, and try to sleep.
photo by: kelleb