to our luxurious Bosque de Paz Lodge below Poas Volcano

Poas Travel Blog

SUNDAY. Bright sunshine greets us, and pancakes are delivered to our door at 7:30am. Drive the north perimeter of Lake Arenal, see the active Arenal Volcano, passed a coati (like a raccoon with a long furry tail) licking up some unknown white powder spilled in the middle of the road and took pictures. Stopped in at Baldi spa and took a tour of their 28 different pools of hot water to lounge in, but for $28 we moved on. Hotel rooms open in a few months. Saw Arenal volcano in all it's glory in sunshine! Got lost a few times with intersections and no signs, but made it fine, climbing ever higher into the clouds to Zarcero. Really incredible scenery to the top of the world.. looked like Switzerland, cows, green, winding road, and the bright sunshine spotlighting things. Dave especially enjoying this! We had lunch right at the park with the sculpted cedars, excellent lunch!
Then up and up, then way way down into a National Park to a one-lane road then rough gravel road to our luxurious Bosque de Paz Lodge. (Forest of Peace ) $103pp incl DBL. We are on the back of Poas Volcano and in a cloud/rain forest. We honk as instructed in e-mail, and the handsome guard Mario lets us in through the gate, and after bags are taken to room #7, we meet some folks from Niagra Falls, ON. Prominently displayed hummingbird galleries and two feeding stations of cracked corn, are attracting our attention, especially several really large black guan birds (related to the turkey) eating here.
Dave and I take several walks around paths in the dense forests, vines hanging down all over, and streams of water, crossing bridges. It's nice and cool, and everything is green. We later see a coati, a agouti, and manager/owner Frederico tells us all about the place, birds, and I am very very impressed. He spots a beautiful red breasted Trogan. Cool! The staff checks the feeders after dark and tells us there is an agouti paca that is nocturnal. It's a large rodent! They have seen ocelots, and pumas here. Dave and I have a glass of Concha y Toro wine, and talk with the Canadians. The 4 of us are their only paying customers. Dinner of squash, lasagna, swiss porksteak and flan are all excellent! I tell Dave I am getting bad stomach cramps at the table, and says he is too at the exact moment! We use the facilities back at the room, and are both just fine! Strange. We laugh about it. We think came from lunch, but don't know from what. Dave reads, I put pictures on and keep typing this. Frederico tells me of a better way to leave here and go to our next place. His mother and wife are at his table. Mario serves. Wife cooks? The place is all decorated for Christmas, and could use a nice fireplace. It's drafty. Room was cold alright but not really badly so.

Poas