Long drive to Lake Arenal....

Arenal Travel Blog

SAT Long drive today. Waited till 9am for office guy Fabian to show up, said was delayed 2 hours account traffic trying to cross 2 bridges between here and Parrita where he lives. We made much better time... across them and on to Port Caldera for lunch, nice place, and further west and north to the Pan American Highway & west to Canas. This is where we turned north in bright sunshine and curving upwards to lots of giant wind turbines spinning along Lake Arenal. So nice to be in dry windy sunny environs again! We find and stay at Cabinas Alebrijes, located on the mountainside above the west end of Lake Arenal. Laura Mora M. Cabinas Alebrijes http://alebrijesdearenal.blogspot.com Laura Mora writes "It will be our pleasure to welcome you here in Alebrijes, I am sure you will love it here, it is very peaceful and quiet and the cabins have great view of the lake it is very easy, We won´t ask for a deposit in order to garantee the reservation, you are telling me that you will come for sure so that will be enough for us! Price for one cabin, 2 beds, with dinner and breakfast for both of us is $50.-- USD Cabin looks fine and before unloading the car, we meet a couple from Northern Georgia, neighbors, who built a stained glass studio, and a house and have retired here. Wanted to sell the studio to me for $60,000. We were shown it. Rough. Nice people!
We take a walk further down and way up the dirt road, picking up 2 dogs along the way. The German Shepherd really responded to my love offering, and came back to our cabin and he just came over and layed down, keeping my feet warm as we sat on our porch overlooking the lake and the fast moving clouds and wind turbines spinning. Sunset was nice, a flock of bright green parrots came to a nearby tree. Barn swallows zipping around, and I saw a Baltimore Oriole! Driving was from 9 to 3pm. Laura's mom and dad bring over from their house next door a large casserole dish of meat pasta and cheese, salad and 4 beers. We ate it all to our surprise and listened to Enya on my laptop. None of the lights in our cabin are bright enough for us to comfortably read. David does the dishes as I type. Laura has recommended a place near Tabacon resort (Baldi) to soak in natural hot springs at a fraction of the Tabacon price. N'bor dogs finally quit barking, our hosts called them for us they said as they brought dinner. I played music on my laptop for us, it really was not quite light enough inside to read. Toilet cover we take off 'cause the bobber thing won't come all the way up and water keeps running. In the middle of the night, the stars are really brilliant, and I can watch Orion from my bed. Wind blows strongly all night and I love it! David snorts, coughs and snores most of the night. I don't know how he gets any sleep. Has a cold the entire trip.

photo by: anlis