The Capitol to the Beach

Quepos Travel Blog

WED tells me Dave's flight is on time and over Tampa. I enjoy the breezes at the pool awaiting. Catch the 11:30 shuttle to pick up a Thrifty rent-a-car at the SJO airport. Toyota Yaris manual transmission for $85.66 USD including taxes for a Week! (not including mandatory insurance which may be almost as much as the rental) Wowee! Alas, they are all out of Yaris or any cars, substitutes a small SUV at the same lo price + $15/day insurance. It won't start, but guy shows me how to wiggle the small black actuator over the key insert and battery light comes on and all is well. Never seen that before. I match up perfectly with David at 1:50pm (long immigration line) and drive nonstop to Quepos / Manuel Antonio noting much more new development en route. We are staying at Hotel Plinio's and arrived in record time, about 515, sunset at 530p. We have a drink at the bar, and a ghecko dropped a 'calling card' from the overhead light nearly into my drink, and then a nicely filling Thai ginger chicken dinner right here. Met a really nice guy, former park service guy at Grand Canyon, was surprised to learn I was just there, and said he would set the controlled burns for fires I had witnessed 2 weeks ago! We have our same room #12, a 3-story affair for only $50/nite cash! Some stupid dog across the street barked a long time likely at some animal moving slowly, I am thinking a sloth? It went on for hours. Bad. Otherwise it's just awesome to be here once again, having been staying here since 1990 off and on. Plinio's has a Primary forest in it's back yard, HUGE rainforest trees. You can walk way up to a lookout point over everything. Great place, except for the dog and increasing traffic noise.
photo by: mpope9