Mykonos - our first island experience

Mykonos Travel Blog

Sailing the Aegean Sea

From the time we left Istanbul, we had almost 24 hours before we reached our first island, Mykonos.  Because of that, we had a very relaxed, enjoyable morning on the cruise ship.  We slept in a bit, got breakfast at the buffet, and bummed around for a while.  They had some events going on at one of the bars, so I wandered up there while Cathy continued to nap.  I don't think her stomach had gotten used to the food of the region yet, as it was giving her a few problems during the day.  The views from the top of the ship were awesome, I only wish my photos really captured just how amazing it was.  Before we reached Mykonos, the cruise ship announced they were offering a trip to Delos (a sacred, uninhabited island in the middle of the Cyclades) from Mykonos for an outrageous price, so I decided that we would book our own tour when we got to the island.

Mykonos Town
  Although I asked the crew if this was possible, and they confirmed that it was, no one mentioned (or perhaps knew) that you cannot take boats from Mykonos to Delos on Monday.  Had I known that, I would have paid the outrageous price to see the island...instead, we walked through Mykonos trying to find an open tour office, but there weren't any.  Bummer.

The boat ended up docking several miles from the town of Mykonos, and we were charged 12 euros for a round trip bus pass to take us into town.  Rip-off.  I would have walked, but we had 8 hours in the island, and I wanted to make the most of that time.  What would keep us busy for 8 hours, though?  We got in line early to get off the boat, and what an experience that was.  It really didn't end up being a big deal, but the true nature of people came out.

Mykonos Town
  Yelling, accusations, pushing, shoving, you name it...just to get off the boat as quickly as possible.  Not worth it, people.

When we did arrive into town, we did enjoy a beautiful walk along the sea front along the western coast of the island.  The white washed buildings shone brightly in the sun as the whole town seemed to glow.  We headed up to the rather famous Mykonos windmills, which were not spinning on this particular day.  Another bummer.  Mykonos town is a wonderful place, and we walked through the streets, taking in the people and the feel of the place.  After about an hour though, we began to wonder what we would do for the next 7 hours.  We got a map and chose to walk half way across the island to one of the nicer beaches.  Although Mykonos is not a big island, we really underestimated the route.

Sunset over Mykonos
  It was, however, fun to get away and just enjoy our time together.  The scenery wasn't jaw dropping or anything, but we got a better taste of what life was like on the island.

After about 2 hours of walking from Mykonos town with the beach nowhere in sight (we were on the correct path, it just took a really long time), we turned around and headed back.  About an hour into the walk back, Cathy's stomach really started to not feel good.  We began going from business to business looking for a bathroom, and finally found one in a little appliance store.  Thank goodness for that.  We made it back into Mykonos town in time to watch the sun "set" behind some clouds on the horizon.  We got a pop for Cathy's stomach and decided that we were going to sneak a ride back to the cruise ship so that we could have dinner for free.

Sunset over Mykonos
  Mykonos is a very expensive island because of the amount of tourism there, and we weren't worried about missing out on a few Greek meals - we had a whole week to ourselves driving around the countryside.

After dinner on the boat, we came back to the island (with the same pass!) and walked around the town at night.  The atmosphere really hadn't changed, people were still out and about and the shops were still open.  As time went by, and considering the dreaded line to take a bus back to the cruise ship, we made our way back.  All in all, slight sickness aside, we had a good first Greek island experience.  What would the other islands be like?

We would be docking in Patmos at 7am - what adventures would this island hold for us?

Mykonos Town
In the middle of nowhere during ou…
In the middle of nowhere during o…
A bit of show on the ship