Delphi Travel Blog

Delphi

Apparently I left my brain in Kalambaka when I hit my head hard on one of the rocks.  We pulled into the small town of Delphi (which is situated on just two streets) and quickly found our hotel.  Parallel parking outside (are you impressed?), we went inside and dropped off our things.  It was 5PM by this point and so we really didn't have time to see the ancient site today.  That was fine with me, since we had a whole day tomorrow with only that to do.  My only prayer was no rain!  After relaxing a bit, we ventured out into the town to see if we could find a supermarket or even a regular market.

View from Delphi
  We also wanted to look at some of the restaurants, even if they weren't open yet.

We tried to stretch this out as long as we could, but there just wasn't much to do there.  We walked the entire town and found two small markets, but no place to really buy our usual lunch supplies.  We did find a restaurant with some nice views of the valley, and when we were hungry enough we ate there.  After dinner, we walked down to the site just so we knew where it was, and to walk off some of the food we had eaten.  Heading back into the room at our hotel, Cathy asked me to go get her wet shoes out of the car so they could dry overnight.  I had only one problem with this - I couldn't find the keys.

I'll admit, I can be a little careless at times, but not usually this bad.

Delphi
  I looked through all my things and all her things before I determined that the keys were not in the room.  I little panic stricken, I went outside and tried to retrace some of my steps.  My first stop was the car, and after trying to look inside for the keys, I noticed that someone had put some tape on the side of the car.  This person had taped the key in the door lock where I had left it as some sort of security device.  He came out of his shop and told me he would periodically look for the owner of the car, and make sure the keys were still there.  I was also informed that had this happened in a city like Athens, the car would be gone.  Man, I felt like such an idiot...probably because I was that much of an idiot, but the Lord was definitely watching out for me, even on this cruddy day.

After opening the door, taking out the shoes, closing the door, locking the door, and REMOVING THE KEY, I went back to the hotel, where I felt worthless for the rest of the night before falling asleep.

photo by: EmyG