Spotted: Spinner Dolphins

Bais Travel Blog

The Oversized outrigger boat
We were dead set to go to Bais City on our 2nd day of the trip. We got up as early as 530 AM to get ready. We left an hour later. Since we have been advised that we will have lunch at the Sand Bar, and we could not buy food anywhere near Bais because it was still quite early, we chose to take out lunch at Jollibee Fast Food in Dumaguete City. Some of my travbuddies were packed with chips and drinks, so we would not go hungry along the way.

There were 11 of us altogether in a trip supposedly, but the family of 3 who were supposed to join us decided to stay in Dumaguete City to have a food tour. It would have affected our budget because we rented a van that costs 3 thousand pesos to take us an hour North of the city we were staying in, but it was a good thing that I left my contact number to the Bais Tourism Office because a couple who were having a vacation from Manila, and arrived at the same time we did, contacted me to join the trip.
Flipper's family
The oversized outrigger boat to take us a whole day spotting dolphins, lounging at the sandbar, and swimming at the beach, also cost us 3 thousand pesos. The boat was good for 15 persons, including the boat crew. Since the 3 of our companions backed out, we had a room for 2 more people both in the van and in the boat. By fate and luck perhaps, these 2 people were staying in the same hotel as we did. Yes, they were lucky, and we were, too. The next day, they were supposed to go to Apo Island, where we went on our first day. They really didn't know how to go there, so I gave them the contact number of the owner of the Liberty Lodge who could help them get great discounts in everything they could possibly need in Apo Island--- land transfers, boat transfers, accommodation.... The very warm and gracious Liberty is the captain of the island, so she can really help them out.

So anyways, we headed on a 'cruise' around Tanon Strait in Bais when we got to the Capinyahan Wharf at around 8AM.
Dolphin Twins
Since this trip was a 'dolphin watching' tour, we had dolphin spotters on top of our boat to direct us to where the dolphins are. The tourguide told us we may not be able to force the dolphins to appear, so we did not expect much.

We were cruising only for less than an hour, and already we were able to spot dolphins from a distance. We got overly excited and flashed all our cameras on hand. We were already ovewhelmed seeing dolphins left and right even if they were swimming away from us.

It had been like that for the next hour. We got really exhausted and sat for the next half hour eating chips, thinking we were no longer to spot any dolphins, and that were just cruising to head to the sand bar.

The tourguide was pointing on a straight direction, and signalled that the dolphins were already near.
Happy Feet
We all got up and took our spots at the end of the boat, readied our cameras. To our surprise, there were already a lot of dolphins swimming right in front of us--- and there were so many of them. The memory card of my camera did not have enough to take long videos, but I took a few 10-seconder video of these friendly and playful creatures of the sea.

They totally brought our energy back, having the dolphins almost within our reach had everyone laughing and screaming in delight. We clapped our hands altogether, as if watching a a great variety show with our favorite celebrities in it. It was really fun. We did not expect them to be that close. Seeing the dolphins in their natural habitat was really marvelous.

We were told in the beginning of the trip that we cannot feed the dolphins because if we do, they would tend to depend on being fed, rather than look for food.
If that's the case and the feeding stops, they would move to another place. Of course, they did not want that to happen.

So, we were the happiest people for about 15 minutes. After that, and the dolphins have already gone, we headed on to the  sandbar in the middle of the sea, which appears only on low tides.

We docked the boat on the shore, had our lunch to reenergize and then went down to go swimming. The water was perfect. The sand was so fine, and we almost had the entire place to ourselves. It was almost noon, and the sun was at its height. It was really hot, and the dip on the water was a perfect remedy.

Two hours later, we heard a few not so loud roars of thunder, and having that experience we had the previous day, we would not risk staying on, especially having me around.

So we headed back to the Capinyahan Wharf and did non-stop talk about what we have so far experienced. The dolphins really made the day. It was the highlight so far for everyone else, but as for me, it was still a toss between that and my panic moment in the seas of Apo Island.

bhush2006 says:
Nicely written. I visited Philippines last month. Just 3 places Cebu-Bohol. Puerto Princesa and El Nido. But I see Philippines is so beautiful that few more visits there are needed. Thanks for sharing this blog.
Posted on: Apr 01, 2013
lauro says:
maganda!
Posted on: Nov 08, 2008
kickasstunner says:
Thanks for all the info! Sana madami rin kaming pupunta para sulit ang bayad! pero since limited na rin ang time eh...Siquijor muna! heheh :D
Posted on: Oct 24, 2008
Chaiyee at the wharf
Chaiyee at the wharf
sunshine girls
sunshine girls
Leaving Capinyahan Wharf to spot t…
Leaving Capinyahan Wharf to spot …
whats the sarong for?
briefing the team
briefing the team
waiting for the dolphins to show up
waiting for the dolphins to show up
Tanon Strait is home to dolphins …
there they are!
happy faces
happy faces
me and the boatlady
me and the boatlady
a few hundred meters from the sand…
a few hundred meters from the san…
coming closer!