London England

London Travel Blog

221B Baker Street aka Sherlock Holmes house
LONDON - DAY ONE

We landed at Heathrow around 7:30 am on June 2 I was filled with excitement as I took my first step out of North America, excitement mixed exhaustion and headache as I experienced my very first case of jet lag. Damn those free in flight movies that kept me awake all night/day.

We proceeded to decipher the London Underground (thank god it's in English) until we found our way to Swiss Cottage station and from there to Palmer's Lodge, our bunk for the next two nights. Sadly enough no beds were available when we arrived, but we managed to wash up and crash on the couches until noon when they let us into our Harry Potter-esque room. Well not exactly, but our dorm did have this really cool open air, two story set up with individual twin beds each with their own curtains.
Tower Bridge
Very fun, and at the same time, really, really nice to have some small degree of privacy.

At this point let me just say, the Indian food we had in London was AMAZING. Now granted we only tried one or two places but wow. For a random shot in the dark we hit gold.

The rest of our day consisted of visiting 221B Baker Street in the midst of the stereo-typical London drizzle. Not only was it annoying, but also cold (at least to what I am used to in June). After getting thoroughly sodden, we made it back to the hostel to dry up, grab a bite to eat, and get some much needed rest.

LONDON - DAY TWO

At this point let me present my traveling companion, fellow traveler, and long time girl friend Shannon :) Who it just so happens, came down sick on the second day of the trip.
London Eye
Damn the London drizzle and my need to see Sherlock Holmes's house. Should have just stayed inside where it was dry. I Spent the morning running out to the Pharmacy for medicine and letting her rest up while London continued it's drizzle fest.

By the early afternoon the drizzle had let up and hunger was pushing us towards the door, so we decided to make the most of it. Off we went to Tower Bridge, grabbing some delicious and ridiculously expensive (it's that whole 2 USD to 1 BPD thing)  pub fare along the way. Wandered around taking pictures until we decided to be ├╝ber-tourists and go ride the London Eye.

As soon as we walked out of the Underground, it started raining. Bought a cheapie umbrella from a guy standing on the corner selling umbrellas to tourists. That guy must make tons with this weather. Good News is that the line was incredibly short, bad news was it was raining and the view was pretty limited.
Still it was fun.

Thoroughly soaked once again we headed back to our hostel to dry off and rest, only pausing for a second to speculate on the fact that Big Ben is much more imposing in pictures than in real life.

LONDON - DAY THREE

Third and final day in London. Slept in again, waiting for the morning drizzle to wear off, then headed out to Soho and Picadilly Circus. Very cool area that seems to know it's cool, and so maybe it's not as cool as it could be. Still I really liked it :)   Grabbed a Cornish pastry while we were there and I must say I don't think I will do that again. It tasted decent but all the grease and heaviness made me feel like I had an anvil in my stomach for the next few hours.

We had an afternoon flight to Madrid to catch from Gatwick so we headed back to the hostel somewhat early and lo and behold, stumbled across a minitaure farmers market coming out of Swiss Cottage station.
Soho
I like to pretend it was a farewell party for my stomach, from London with love.  Delicious crepes, fresh from the fire indian skewers, and my favorite freshly grilled lamb and beef mixed mini burgers.  We ate approximately 3-4 of these each.

An hour or two later we were sitting in the Gatwick terminal listening to our boarding instructions in Spanish and waving goodbye to Jolly Ole London.

It wasn't the most action packed 3 days, but it was tons of fun and certainly left me wanting more. We'll definitely have to come back to London again someday.

221B Baker Street aka Sherlock Hol…
221B Baker Street aka Sherlock Ho…
Carnaby Street in Soho