Queenstown Travel Blog

Queenstown

On the drive back, it started to snow crazy golf-ball sized clumps of snow that came down so fast and hard that when I pulled over almost 2 inches accumulated in not more than 15 minutes!  But I managed to crawl slowly out of the mountains and down to lower elevation where the snow was not falling so fast.   By the time I finally neared Queenstown that afternoon, the city was bathed in glorious sunshine and the mountains shimmered in a fresh layer of snow.  It was such an amazingly beautiful town, like an European Alpine ski town.   I also drove up to the small town of Arrowtown and finally back to my hotel for night, a quirky Germanic influenced lodge built and decorated by a Swiss expat and his Asian wife.

near Queenstown
  My bedroom, complete with a fireplace, was fitted with a big picture window right next to my bed giving me a panoramic view of the mountains over the lake.  What a lovely place!   In the morning, I took a series of photos of the sun rising on the snow capped mountains and lake while laying in bed.

Most people come to Queenstown for the activities: jetboating, paragliding, bungy jumping, etc.  If I had planned on coming during the summer months I might have been tempted, but not with snow on the ground, thank you very much....y blood has gotten a bit thin since living in Thailand.  Instead, I planned to see the town and use it as a transit point to the Alps and glaciers up north.  But I would like to to come back some day.

south of Queenstown
check out the view from my bed!
check out the view from my bed!
near Wanaka