Moeraki boulders

Moeraki Travel Blog

I landed in Christchurch with a full agenda (as always) and a set amount of time to see as much of South Island as I could in 9 days.  So wasting no time whatsoever, I sped out of the rental car lot and directly South toward Dunedin.  I had hoped to arrive before sunset to see the penguins coming ashore.  However, due to a overbooked plane situation in Singapore, I was forced to take the indirect flight to CC via Auckland (where a late arrival almost caused me to miss the connection (and did cause me to run a quarter mile with my baggage), getting me to CC in the afternoon and way too late to see the penguins today since Dunedin is fully 5 hours South of CC.  Nevertheless, on the way I did manage to stop briefly at the amazing Moeraki boulders just at dusk.  Apparently, these nearly perfectly spherical boulders are created naturally and they are strewn all down the coast.  The weather is absolutely perfect today.  I'm told it was a long time in coming, and now that Spring has arrived, the blossoms are blooming everywhere.  I only hope the weather can hold out a week.

After this brief stop it was back on the road for Dunedin with me fighting sleep behind the wheel all the way.  Being severly jetlagged on New York time AND unable to sleep well on airplanes for over 30 hours of flying will do that to you!

amudha_colaco says:
Congrats on your featured blog!
bigmac993 says:
Congrats on your feature today!
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured blog! :D
Moeraki