Take the Train!

England Travel Blog

England has a wonderful train system. A 90 min train ride from London took me to Bath with its Roman ruins and Georgian buildings. A good base for bus tours to the olde English villages of the Cotswolds like Lacock along with Stonehenge and Avebury Circle. Then the train to Arundel with its gorgeous castle before heading to Eastbourne, a Victorian seaside resort with its beautiful beach promenade lined with floral carpet gardens. Short bus ride to the white cliffs of the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head lighthouse. The train to Hastings, where a bus takes you to the battlefield of that town and the ruins of Battle Abbey along with my favorite place of my seven day train trip-the ruins of Bodiam Castle with its surrounding oaks and moat. The train trip to the old smuggler's town of Rye was short where I stayed in the historic Mermaid Inn, built in 1420 on a cobblestone street. The train was easy then to Maidstone to visit Leeds Castle before choo-chooing back to London. I am 50 and did this all on my own. The schedules of bus and train dovetail beautifully and the English train system is wonderfully efficient and easy to navigate.

gottago123 says:
Oh my, I guess I do not check this site very regulary; It is only one year later! To answer your questions AZSalsa, I was in England ten days and had neer traveled by myself. Spent 2 weeks in May, 2009 touring Northern Italy with a friend. Must admit it is more fun to share the adventure with someone else. My husband hates international travel so it was nice to find someone to accompany and plan the Italian adventure together.
Posted on: Oct 08, 2009
azsalsa says:
No problem there, Tracy. As a newby, you will learn many wild and wonderful things about Travbuddy. You can easily change the date on your blog to reflect the actual date of your visit. Because of this little feature, you can put in trips you have made in years past. I'm still working on trips that I did in 1973!!
Posted on: Oct 09, 2008
azsalsa says:
How wonderful, you are in England now! My husband and I used to live in Rugby (he's British). I've been to Leeds Castle twice and am always in awe of the place....love the Cotswolds of course and have also strolled the Avebury henge. Enjoy...how long will you be there?
Posted on: Oct 08, 2008