Quadbiking through the Namib Desert

Swakopmund Travel Blog

The title pretty much explains it. I booked the Quadbiking trip through the Namib Desert. That is an amazing way to spend a morning and really get to see alot while having a blast. There were five of us who went and the only thing that sucked was that old women with us was driving really slow so we had to periodically stop to wait for her to catch up. I decided to go with the manual quadbike because they are faster, even though the last time I drove a manual car I stalled it out 20 times in 30 seconds. Sure enough right as we start to go out I stall it...though that was the only time as I really got the hang of it. The dunes are MASSIVE and you can really ramp off of them and fly around and down them like you are on a roller coaster. Its fun when you get a straight stretch and can really punch the gas to get some great hang time. Everybody else on the trip was really experienced so our guide had no problem with letting us get a little crazy with the bikes. We stoped to take pictures a few times and the middle of the desert really looks like the Gobi or like stereotypical Saudi Arabia. We drove down to the Skeleton Coast and saw all the shipwrecks (the ruins are still there) from which the coast got its name. We could also see Walvis Bay which is really not far from Swakop. The tour lasted about 3 hours and was well worth the $40 US for it. Spent the rest of the day checking out the city and being a beach bum. Got a little too much sun so I had to head back early for my date with Aloe Vera.
photo by: Chelsea