turkish hospitality in Egirdir

Egirdir Travel Blog

lake Egirdir in the morning

I finally made it to Egirdir, woohoo!  we were all pretty tired from the long drive and first had a meal in our Pension. Lale pension is a very nice hostel with the most friendly owners I ever met: Ibrahim and Muslum.  They were very helpful and I stayed at Charly's pension, which is part of Lale. It soon became clear why it was called Charly because this was the name of Muslum's dog, haha. Then I socialised a bit with Muslum, drank some beer and smoked some waterpipe: the best one I ever smoked in Turkey, daimn!!

Still managed to get up pretty early after my first night in Egirdir.  I only had planned one day here which is not enough in my opinion.  The village centre is not big at all and that time of year there are not many tourists to be seen and bars are quite deserted.

charming roofs
Ibrahim told me a lot of Turkish people come here in weekends to have a little holliday. Oh yes and the ideal place to practice my Turkish as the villagers don't speak any word of English. The lake is huge and I realised it would be really far on foot. I decided to take it easy and rent a bike for only 5 euro a day.   I followed the road to Isparta a bit next to the lake untill I ran into a beautiful sandy beach you can see on the pictures below. This was quite extraordinary because other lake shores are mostly rocky. Stayed there for a while and took a swim, the water was great and so clean!  In the neighbourhood there were still a lot of other things I could do but time worked against me.

Drove a little further by bike and passed a great deal of military posts which I thought was quite strange but Muslum said it's very normal.

During my entire trip I didn't realise Turkey has sometimes an important military role to play due to it's geography in our world. When I looked right,  I saw a big inscription on the rocks with the Turkish flag represented. This was another thing I had seen in travel guides but didn't knew the exact location, now I had found it. Then I turned back to the village via some little roads and saw some school children playing next to the lake in their school outfits. Glad I was back because it began to storm! huge hailstones fell down and an enormous amount of rain. At that point I was having a tea in the restaurant with Ibrahim and his dad.  His dad already lived there for 35 years and he had never seen anything like this. The town centre flooded and there was about half a meter of water on the streets.  Some hours later, the water was already gone  and we went to a restaurant in the village where I saw the most beautiful turkish girls I had ever seen during my trip. Had a quiet night and went to bed after some UNO-games and a footballgame of Fener Baçe.

sandy beach
storm coming!
storm coming!
Egirdir Hostels review
Lale Pension : coming home in Turkey
When I arrived in Egirdir at Lale, I had a warm welcome by Müslüm, one of the friendly owners. This pension consists of several buildings and I sta… read entire review
Egirdir