first day on board of a gület.

Turkey Travel Blog

start of 3-day boat trip

It immediately became clear I was about to enter probably the most touristical part of Turkey.  I had allready seen this in Antalya but the van stopped at a place that was even worse! Didn't quite understand why we stopped but hey I decided to make the best of it and laughed my ass off with tourists that were photographing a statue of Santa-Claus because it was said he was born there! yeah right! There was also a Saint-Nicolas church but didn't seem to be special so I didn't visit it. I also don't know what this town was called but I could see it was mainly focussed on tourism and because of the Santa I called it Kitschtown!! It was sooo hot, even hotter than in Cappadocia, about 40 degrees Celcius.

Eventually we arrived at the starting point of our 3-day boat trip. These kind of boats were called gülets, a traditional sailing boat. The captain and his crew were very friendly and told us something more about the places we were about to visit. I think this first day was the most interesting because we visited Kac,  Some sort of island or peninsula with a castle on top of the hill. It's really worth visiting because once up on the hill you have a magnificent view over the sea and coast. There supposed to be a sunken city as well in the neighbourhood but the only thing I could see of it were a few ruins on the rocks. Then had a nice swim in the Turkish waters and we stopped sailing to have evening dinner. It was a nice first day on board.

coast