first meeting with Istanbul

Istanbul Travel Blog

Turkish airlines brought me to Constantinopel, Byzantium or as it is known nowadays Istanbul!

Merhaba!

This is the place where my Turkey adventure would start along with some 11 other Belgian people I met for the first time.  After having bought a temporary visa, We took the subway from the airport to the city centre  which was about a 45min drive. Here I could pick up some first words I could understand in Turkish. kapali, kapali, close the door! Some friendly youngsters were having fun  heh. I arrived in the heart of Sultan Ahmet, just one street away from Aya Sofia and tourist hotspots. The view of the city out of the subway was like a western town.

The first impression was very good, it was a cosy business with nice temperatures. I had to go in that direction to find 'Istanbul Hostel'.  The owners made me immediately feel at home at I could finally start to use the tiny knowledge I had of Turkish, really nice and funny sometimes.

Made an evening walk around the blue mosque or 'cami mavi' and near to it I had my first Turkish kebab in Doy Doy restaurant with a splendid view on Cami Mavi (blue mosque). This is a nice restaurant where locals go out to eat. We had to wait some 5 min's before a table was free but we were rewarded with such a nice view of Istanbul. You could here very clearly the call for prayer, as it was during ramazan.  The roof terrace of Istanbul hostel gave me a good view of Istanbul as well. This was the location of the bar, a very nice place.

Blue mosque in the evening
Blue mosque in the evening
taking the subway from the airport…
taking the subway from the airpor…
A first view of the blue mosque