Belize

Belize City Travel Blog

Today I set out on an excursion all by myself.  The rest of the group booked trips to go ziplining or snorkeling while I chose to visit Xunantunich, a local Mayan ruin site.  I had been looking forward to this for months!  I took the tender from the ship to the port, borded a bus and was escorted out of the city.  We were driving all the way to the western portion of the country.  After we drove for about an hour, our tour guide "received" a phone call from his supervisor.  Acting completely astonished he informed us that the ferry we were scheduled to take was not operating due to flooding and that at that point we had two options.  The first option was to turn around and go back to the ship and the second option was to check out another Mayan site called Cahal Pech.

One of my tour mates asked what would happen if all but one person chose to go to the site.  He was told that that person would sit on the bus while everyone else explored the ruins.  Wow...what an option!  Many people felt bullied and pressured into chosing to visit Cahal Pech.

Once we got there we visited a local museum depicting the lives of the Mayans.  The museum was quaint but very informative.  Next, our guide led us down to the ruins where he described to us the uses of each of the structures before us.  Although Xunantunich is much larger and was a more notable city, Cahal Pech stands out in the sense that visitors are able to roam freely throughout the buildings exploring each and every one of the nooks and crannies.  I thought that was kind of cool.

I was disappointed that I didn't make it to Xunantunich but I know that Belize is one of those countries that I would keep returning to and I'll be able to visit Xunantunich shortly.

Belize City