Angkor WOW

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Day 1 :

Our flight arrived in Siem Reap on time. Upon entering the airport, we proceed to apply for tourist visa. The forms and counters located on the left side, filling up form with one passport size photo and $20, you will get your visa almost immediately. The officer made you wait in another line to get back your passport with a visa on it, very easy.

When we finally got out of the customs, our English speaking guide -Mr Neak waited for us for almost 45minutes! Nice guy, I had problem to understand him at the beginning but once I got use to his accent, we enjoyed his service.

We went to the silk farm to see how they make silk. We bought a souvenir, a stone carving of the face of Bayon.  Then we went to a handicraft place, Les Artisan D’Angkor.

Bakheng Temple on Bakheng Hill
You can find wood carving products, stone carving products, silk, lacquer ect.

Killing Field is a little depressing and scary though, I didn’t enjoy it too much especially when I saw the pictures on the board and know what was going then…

After Killing filed, we checked in to Prince D’Angkor Hotel.  It has a very big lobby with a large reception counter. Lounge, coffee bar and swimming pool are all located at the same lever. The room is clean and bathroom is big enough for us.

Neak brough us to have a local Cambodian lunch - to our surprise, it was really good!

After lunch, we went on a boat ride on the largest fresh water lake in South East Asia.

Ta Prohm
Tonle Sap Lake. According to Neak, there is a floating village on this lake. The village will change it location in the different time of the year! There was also a floating school!

The ride was very pleasant.

We then visited the Bakheng Temple on top of the Bakheng Hill. Very impressive! Although going up to the temple with those narrow, steep stones stairs were very challenging. We were supposed to watch the sunset however there were these big-o clouds blocking the sun - what a waste! We could see the Angkor Wat from the hill,  I was so excited to see the real Angkor Wat!

We had a chance to see the Apsara show at the buffet dinner.

Good food, good show!

Day 2 :

Neak knows when is the best time to visit which temple in order to avoid the crowds. Therefore he brought us to Ta Promh in the morning. The jungle temple were surrounded by the huge trees, it was so famous that the Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider movie were shot here!

Bayon is one of my favorite - very impressive with the different faces carved on the stone. We then went to see the South Gate of Angkor Thom, Phimeanakas, Elephant Terrace, Terrace of Leper King - I couldn’t keep my mouth closed because I said WOW too much! And I haven’t seen the Angkor Wat yet!!

Finally, Angkor Wat - the one that I have been waiting to see.

Ta Prohm
It’s so huge! Lots of interesting carving, high and big towers, beautiful architecture! Too bad we were not allowed to go up to the tower. According to Neak, it was because too many fatal accidents when tourists fell from the steps. We were so tired after we have done with the temple visit, also because Neak took so many pictures of us until at a point I wanted to say NO MORE PITURE, NEAK! I had run out of smiles for my pictures at the end of the day… I got a unbelievable foot massage for $5 an hour! I needed that because my feet were so sore by the end of the day. I got the massage while Charlie was working on the computer to transfer our pictures and videos. I felt bad though, he was working while I was enjoying…

Our tour is done with Neak, but we wanted to see more of other temples. Therefore we bought a 3 days temple pass for $40 per person. Neak was so good to us; he gave us a map and told us which other temples we should see. He even offered to show us and gave us free guide services! (Of cause he got a big fat tips at the end of the tour)

Day 3 :

We went to see Bataey Srei- citadel of the women, about 25km north east of Siem Reap.

Closer look at Angkor Wat
The pink sand stones made it so special.  Next is Bantaey Samre and Bantaey Kdei - the citadel of the cells. (To be honest, I still can’t figure out what’s the different, shame on me!)  Then Pre Rup,Chau Say Thevoda, Thommanom, Ta Keo , East Mebon( at this point, I was totally lost ! OMG! So many stories and ruins, oh, don’t forget to pose for Neak, for even more pictures!) I remembered Prasat Kravan quiet well, simple 5 towers with beautiful carving on bricks. Neak was so good; he brought us back to the south gate of Angkor Thom for pictures because my camera’s battery died at that point yesterday. Sras Srang or the royal bath is peaceful. We love it! Finally, tour is done about 3.30pm. We went back to the hotel and worked on our travel journal and pictures. We went to the only café in the area, which is by the end of the street from our hotel. We were like - the Cambodian doesn’t like coffee? What about for tourists? Anyway, while I was writing the journal, I got mad at Charlie because he messed up our pictures! I spend half an hour to have them arranged according to our itinerary and he messed them up! It was so confused because I had no idea which is which due to too many temples and they all look alike! I did apologized after I realized I was being unreasonable though….
Phimeanakas

Neak brought us to a local Chinese restaurant for dinner. The dinner was OK, perhaps because we are not a big fan of pork.  Although they do have good draft Angkor Beer. Charlie loved it and wanted to buy the pitcher for souvenir.  Here’s the problem -the workers speak very little English, we spent about 15minutes trying to explain what we wanted but sorry, they still didn’t know what we wanted. Finally, a Chinese man approached us, (I think he is the owner).Asked if I speak Chinese. Bingo! I managed to tell him we wanted to buy the pitcher. Too bad it was not for sale…We were like - how weird is that? We’re in Cambodia and we had to speak Chinese to get things done? Well, it was fun.

Day 4 :

We decided to take a tuk tuk for our tour today.

Bayon
We wanted to see Preah Khan, Neak Pean and Ta Som. There are located on the north side of Angkor Area. We also wanted to see the Roluos Group which is located on the south side of Angkor Area. The tuk tuk driver charged us $25 for a day - What a good deal!

It was raining so hard. We had our disposable rain coat on but it was so uncomfortable! We should have brought the umbrella! Our first stop was Preah Khan, very beautiful structure although there were some part was inaccessible because it was covered by the stones that collapsed. I took off my rain coat in the tuk tuk thinking that we will buy umbrellas when we get to the next destination. I immediately regretted my action because there weren’t anyone selling umbrellas! I was soaking wet! Ran towards some stalls hopefully there were umbrellas for sale - Nope! Only rain coat. Damn rain coat!  Neak Pean is the unique one.  There was a centre naga (dragon) tower and an intriguing horse statue surrounded by water.

Bayon
Ta Som is like a smaller version of Ta Prohm, with strangle fig tree.

The tuk tuk driver drove us to a local restaurant near Sras Srang. They offered good food but the coffee was a little too sweet. After lunch, we continued our tuk tuk adventure to the Roluos Group. The first temple we saw was Lolei which has nice carving and looked like Pre Rup. Preah Ko has nice carving too, the three headed naga(dragon) were impressive. Bakong is the last temple we saw of the day.  There was a 5 lever pyramid temple in the center and it surrounded by 8 brick towers -yet another beautiful temple.

At night, we went to Pub Street for our dinner, very good Cambodian dinner.

Bayon
After dinner, as we were walking out of the restaurant area, we smelled something really good - it was the Cambodian BBQ! We know what we would have for our dinner tomorrow! We then went to the night market which is very close to Pub Street. There were a lot of stores that sell T-shirts, Cambodian craft etc. Charlie bought a T-shirt for $2!

Day 5 :

Today, we decided not to see any temple. We walked down the street from our hotel, to see those shops along the street. We then ended up at the center market. There were so many stores in that building! Clothes, bags, craft…we didn’t stay for a long time because it was so hot and uncomfortable. We then decided to go back to Pub Street for lunch. After lunch, we headed back because it was so hot and we didn’t feel like staying outside.

Bayon
We had the Cambodian BBQ for dinner -DELICIOUS! We were regretted why we didn’t have that yesterday! We explored the night market for last minute shopping. Charlie bought 8 T-shirts for $2 each and I bought 4 T-shirts for $3! There was only one stare selling $1 for 1 ladies T-shirt and buy 3 get 1 free!! Also, I got one hand crafted hand bag and Charlie got 2 document purses. What’s so special about the document purse was, it made form the coffee bag and it was made by the handicaps who survived the landmine. It made very unique souvenir!

We were so happy and excited!

Day 6 :

Get up early for the flight home…Good bye Siem Reap.

Besides the temple, what made Cambodia even more special are the people.

Angkor Wat
They are honest and very friendly. Although they are poor, but they always have a smile on their face, especially the children, their smile just took my heart away. Even though we didn’t need anything from what they were selling, we just bought them. Sometime we just gave them money…The adults are honest.  We never need to worry if we were going to rip off by these people like we did in China. Everything is standard price. Tuk-tuk for a short trip is $2, a day trip to the Angkor Area is $12 and the grand circuit is $25. T-shirt is $2 everywhere. We felt very comfortable in Cambodia.

Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Thanks for the kind words! I am sure you will love it!
Posted on: Apr 29, 2012
irwint says:
yes trip to Cambodia will be an awesome trip and shall not disappointed. Looking for travel buddies to go along. Done some research on VISA thinggy and found http://www.evisaasia.com as reference. anyone?
Posted on: Sep 19, 2011
hayley_phoon says:
very nice review and great picture!!!
Posted on: Nov 09, 2010
Preah Ko
Preah Ko
Bakong
Bakong
Children outside of a temple waiti…
Children outside of a temple wait…