It's getting hotter here!

Whitianga Travel Blog

Landscape on the northern island is beautiful

Whitianga (pronounced: Fi-ti-an-ga) is a destination that wasn't on my personal itinerary but this is a place where the Kiwi bus stops so I kinda had to stay there for one night. The trip goes from Auckland to Whitianga with several short stops in between. Our bus driver is called Kane. During the ride he's giving a lot of background information about the the places we pass and tells us about the activities of the day. What strikes me is the huge knowledge of all Kiwibus drivers I have so far. They really know a lot about New Zealand and they are great storytellers. Especially their stories about how the landscape is shaped are great.

Cathedral Cove 1
They always tell two versions of it, one story about the landscape according to scientists and another version based on Maori legends. In general, I prefer the Moari versions.

On our way to Whitianga we stopped at Cathedral Cove. This beach has been used as a set background for a movie called "The Chronicles of Narnia". I haven't seen the movie but this place does look beautiful. This beach is so nice that I decided to go into the water for a swim. Really cold but I liked it. The bus driver and I climbed up on a rock (about 5 metres high) and jumped off from it. It was spectacular. One more thing, I think I've lost my fear of heights after the bungy jump back in Auckland. Really good!

We also stopped at other places but these weren't that interesting. The view from up on a hill just outside Auckland was nice but the stop at a digging site was in my opinion unnecessary.

Hill outside Auckland
Nevertheless, as a real tourist I've made some pictures of it. We didn't stop at a place where I wanted us to stop and that was at a hot water beach. This is a beach where the water under the sand is warm. You basically dig a hole on that beach and voila, you have your own warm water pool. Too bad we didn't stop there because I've heard from other backpackers it's quite a cool place (or should i say it's a hot place???).

At Whitianga we stayed in a small cosy hostel which was very nice. The only thing is that there is nothing to do in Whitianga. We went to the "place to be" in this village which is a big sports bar. There were in total 15 people in this bar which included 10 people that travelled together with me on the Kiwi bus. Not a lively village I reckon. That night, our walk back to our hostel was quite interesting. The streets were very dark and we couldn't find our way back to the hostel. Normally it's a five minutes walk but it took us 45 minutes to get back to the hostel. Quite embarrising when you realize this village has only ten streets.

I've mentioned in my previous blog that there are many Dutch backpackers in New Zealand. On the kiwi bus we had 35 travellers which 5 of them are from the Netherlands. In the tiny village Whitianga I've met 4 more Dutch backpackers. Really weird.

I've only stayed one night in Whitianga and I was getting excited for my next destination, Rotorua.

Landscape on the northern island i…
Landscape on the northern island …
Big dumptruck