Wellington ...... Great atmosphere in

Wellington Travel Blog

View of Central Wellington

Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand. Peter Jackson, the director of Lord of the Rings, is born in a small city (or suburb) just outside Wellington. This city is famous for its many cafes (it has more cafes per capita than New York). Wellington is also called Windy Welly because there's always wind blowing through this city. Rain never drops downwards here, it always coming in sideways.

I like Wellington. It's so much better than Auckland. The city looks really nice. Lots of bars, cafes and restaurants which show that Wellington has a vivid nightlife, although not on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. I even like the shopping area of Wellington! :O The buildings are looking very nice.

Te Papa
Also the wooden Victorian houses on the hills are nice. It reminds me of San Francisco. I've never been there but I imagine that houses in Wellington are pretty much the same as in San Francisco (think of opening scene of the theme song from the sitcom "Fullhouse"). Wellington has a nice waterfront too.

One of the biggest attraction in Wellington is the Te Papa museum. It's a six storey building displaying New Zealand's history and culture. This museum has a huge Moari collection and lots of environment exhibitions. Especially on the second and third floor there are lots of interactive exhibitions like earthquake house and the multimedia wall. I spend almost an hour just playing with that wall. Very entertaining and it's all for free. There are a few exhibitions which you have to pay for.

Botanic Garden (5)
I've done two 3D experience rides but in all honesty, it's not worth the money. It's literally a painfull experience and I have the bruises to proof it. Te Papa is a really nice museum. I especially liked the interactive exhibitions. Don't do the exhibitions that charge an admission fee.

Wellington has a nice Botanic Garden. (Yes, again a Botanic Garden!!!). A (red) cable car takes you up to the hilltop of the gardens. It's an easy walk down through the Garden. Here I realized that also even in New Zealand I have hayfever. :(

Another walk I've done is to the top of Mt Victoria. It's an easy but steep walk up the hill. You do get a great view of the city but you'll notice up there why Wellington is called Windy Welly. I also went to the cinema and bars in Wellington. Lots of locals and that's why I like Wellington. The locals love their own town and express their enthusiasm by being going out, eat and drink downtown.

Wellington is also the gateway to the South Island of New Zealand which will be my next destination.

Next destination: Nelson

Botanic Garden (4)
Botanic Garden (4)
View of the southside of Wellington
View of the southside of Wellington
I told you its windy in Wellington
I told you it's windy in Wellington
red cable car to Botanic Garden
red cable car to Botanic Garden
Botanic Garden (1)
Botanic Garden (1)
Botanic Garden (3)
Botanic Garden (3)
Botanic Garden (2)
Botanic Garden (2)
Part of the Parliament Building ca…
Part of the Parliament Building c…
Shopping area Wellington